Small, powerful devices, worn on the body. Useful information when you need it most. Intelligent answers to spoken questions. Tools to help reach fitness goals. Your key to a multiscreen world. – there they said it. Google has just released the Developer Preview of the Android Wear for the developers.
So this is the right time for Google to enter into the wearable category, as they announce Android Wear, a special separate version of Android OS, which would work only for the wearable devices – the smartwatches. Showing a couple of videos, Google already did quite a lot of explanation about what is to come, and what are the possibilities if the Android Wear is used as a the OS for a smartwatch. Google showed the LG G Watch as an example for showcasing the new OS, and the watch looks brilliant already, and LG is one of the early partners along with Motorola, to make a wearable device with the Android Wear OS.
The developer preview for the developers is out, and here’s what you as a developer can do with it right now.
- Run the Android Wear platform in the Android emulator.
- Connect your Android device to the emulator and view notifications from the device as cards on Android Wear.
- Try new APIs in the preview support library that enhance your app’s notifications with features such as voice replies and notification pages.
If you wanted to try it out already, here’s the link you need to go to, and sign up for it – developer.android.com
Once you signup as a developer, here is what you get access to:
- New notification APIs in the preview support library
- Sample apps using the new notification APIs
- The Android Wear Preview app for your mobile device, which connects your device to the Android Wear emulator
With the Android Wear and the excellent apps that would be made available, a user would be able to get:
- Useful information when needed: The information we are talking about, is the updates from social networks, latest posts, chats from the famous messaging apps, notifications from the apps – which include the categories such as shopping, news, photography etc.
- Answers to your questions: The “Ok Google” that you see on the Motorola devices, for the voice commanding would be available on the smart watches powered with Android Wear. You could get a lot of stuff done with this voice commands – booking a cab, sending a text message, setting an alarm etc.
- Monitoring fitness and health: Using the Android Wear OS, the users can set exercise goals and can keep a track of the fitness with the regular fitness activities. Working with the various fitness apps, the devices would give the real-time speed, distance and time information on your wrist for your run, cycle or walk.
- Control the smart watch functions: Using the smart watch powered by the Android Wear OS, one could fire the music playlist on your phone, or cast your favorite movie to your TV.
Google has already showcased a list of brands which it has partnered with, to bring out some smart watches later this year.
It didn’t take time for Motorola (and yes it was well planned) to announce the Moto 360 smart watch, and it is going to be available in Summer 2014.