Having Barnes and Noble’s Nook Color? Then you can now easily apply the update of the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 custom firmware. Please note that this installation of Cyanogen Mod 7.1 is not the official release which is released by the Barnes and Noble. It has been taken un due care that this article is written correctly with all the steps carefully with which you can apply this update on your Tablet.
In the process of applying this update, the device will be rooted and the warranty will be void but just in case if you wanted to regain the warranty then you can easily regain the same by taking the backup of the current ROM which we will see how we can do so. For your convenience we have broken this article into different pages so that you can easily follow the article accordingly.
Disclaimer: We at Android ADVICES have ensured in all respects to ensure that all the information regarding the firmware update is mentioned correctly in this article. We hold no responsibility in any manner just in case if any damage happens to your nook Color which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions carefully.
- First up you need to ensure that you have taken the backup of all the data which is there in the device so that just in case if any of the data is lost you can easily. With the help of below steps you can easily backup the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Now, once you have taken the backup of the data ensure that the device is at least charged with the minimum charge of 60% so as to ensure that the device doesn’t run out of battery in the process of firmware update.
- Softwares like Antivirus programs, Firewalls and other PC Suites should be completely closed in the computer. Note that you need to have the admin privileges along with the full access Read / Write access should be there in the USB or else the firmware update process will be hampered.
Procedure to Root the Barnes & Nooble Nook Color:
First up you need to download the uNooter Zip Package in your computer and after that you need to unzip the same and then copy this extracted file/s to your device’s SD card. Please note that just in case if you on Windows or in Linux or Mac based operating system you can follow the instructions which are mentioned below.
For Windows Users:
- First up you will need to download the Windows 32 Image Disk Manager in your computer and then insert the SD card which you are going to use to write the uNooter image to.
- Open the Win 32 Disk Manager and choose the downloaded and extracted uNooter image with the folder button and select the drive letter for the SD card. After this you need to write the uNooter image.
For Linux Users:
- First up insert the SD Card in which you will be writing the uNooter image to and in your computer you need to open up the terminal and then navigate to the directory where the extracted uNooter image is located.
- Now, in the same directory which is there in the uNooter image you will have to type in the following commands.
- Please note that you need to check whether the <sdcard> is associated with the SD Card or not, for example sdc.
dd if=uNooter.img of=/dev/<sdcard> bs=1M
For Mac OSX Users:
- First of all you need to insert he SD Card and then followed by the uNooter image to the SD Card and then open the terminal window in your computer.
- In the terminal window, you need to navigate to the directory where you have extracted the uNooter image path.
- Now, once the directory of the uNooter image is located you will have to now type the following commands.
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/<sdcard>
dd if=uNooter.img of=/dev/<sdcard> bs=1m
Now, the uNooter image will be installed successfully on the SD Card and then just continue to the next step which is gaining the root access in the B & N Nook Color.