It’s all about Nexus 6/9 as it’s the latest flagship device from Google and was one of the most awaited devices in 2014. So for all those who have bought this smartphone can now root the device. Apart from rooting which we saw in the earlier article, we will also help you to unlock the boot loader. Unlocking the boot loader of Nexus devices is always fun as the process of unlocking the boot loader is simple and takes less than 5 minutes in whole. So after checking out the list of quick pre requisites, let’s head over to the detailed guide which will help you unlock the boot loader.
- Create a backup of all the data present in your device manually with the help of below mentioned steps and not with any of the automated tools.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- Make sure that ADB is installed and configured properly in your computer.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have detailed the list of instructions which will help you update the device
Procedure to Unlock the Boot loader of Nexus 6/9:
- Head over to the About Phone section and then tap on “Build number” 5 to 6 times to enable the “Developer Options”. In Developer Options, tap on the “Enable OEM unlock” if you see this option and then tap on “Ok” on the pop up. Up next you need to also enable the USB Debugging in your device by selecting the option in the Developer Options.
- Open command prompt in your computer and connect your device to the computer with the original USB cable and enter the below mentioned command in your computer so that the device can be entered in the boot loader mode;
Adb reboot bootloader
If using a Mac, it’s ./adb reboot bootloader or ./fastboot -insert command-
- Now, wait for your device to boot in the bootloader mode and then in the command prompt, you need to type in the below mentioned commands and press enter
Fastboot oem unlock
If using Max, it’s ./fastboot oem unlock
- Now, a bootloader unlock confirmation page will be shown. Tap on Volume Up to highlight “Yes” and power to select the same. Now, you will see that the device boot loader will be unlocked. Process of boot loader unlock will take around 4 -5 minutes and in some cases it may be faster.
Note: if your Nexus 6/9 goes in the boot loop mode, you need to press the Volume Up + Power ON the device in the off state to clear the cache and reboot the device.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of bootloader unlock as we will make sure that your issue is addressed as soon as possible.