When you order a new TV set for your home, the job really isn’t done there because there is a calibration needed for the television’s features to get the best experience while watching the Blu-ray movies or some colorful content. There are of course a lot of professional services available if you wanted to set things up when you have already invested a lot in purchasing a good kit, but if you are fine enough with the basic adjustments that can be done by yourself, the calibration app from THX could do quite a lot. It’s the THX Tune-up application which would take the users through different video setting calibrations.
The good thing about the app is that you won’t have to sit and wonder how the changes are to be done, because you are taken through the steps in a sequence, and for each of it, there is an automated dialog box which would take you through the various settings and guide you on how to adjust the things. Even better, these instructions would be based on the TV make and thus you will have all the steps for the specific TV you purchased.
What adjustments can be made with THX Tune-up app?
- TV color, brightness and other settings
- Projector setup
- Speaker / Home theater system settings
The video adjustments that are possible with the THX Tune-up app, are as below:
- Aspect ratio – There are different aspect ratios depending on the TV screen size, and whether it is a normal or wide-screen TV. The app would ensure that the TV displays the shape and size correctly
- Brightness – The app ensures that the shadow details and the night scenes are clearly visible, and the brightness is set at a level which doesn’t hurt your eyes
- Contrast – The app adjusts the white details on the television
- Color – There are adjustments done to the color so that they are bright and vibrant, but do not look cartoonish
- Tint – The skin tone is made to look natural and not too green or red
The audio adjustments possible are:
- Speaker assignment – The app confirms whether the speakers are properly connected to the correct AVR outputs (which many of us fail to do so)
- Speaker phase – The app confirms whether the speakers are connected in a phase correctly
How is the video adjustment done?
It’s simple – most of the job is done by the app, but it would need your Android device’s rear camera to set the color and tint, and there is a special built-in color filter in the app which does that.
For now, the usage is limited and only a few Android devices can install this app. This is the list given below (all these devices should be running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or later):
- LG Nexus 5
- LG Nexus 4
- HTC One
- HTC One Max
- HTC One X
- HTC One X+
- Nexus 7-2013
- Nexus 10
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Although we know this is not the perfect professional solution if you were looking to adjust everything for a high-end home entertainment system, this app would do everything basic whenever you might have changed the settings or adjustments for some specific purposes. There are a few more features included too, along with the given above adjustments, and this includes –
Playing the exclusive THX trailers to show off the newly tuned system, and to even check how things are adjusted
Playing the THX Deep Note in 5.1 surround system to show off the audio system and playing capabilities
Download the THX Tune-up app for Android from Play Store – Link