HTC One M8 Android smartphone can now be turned into the Google Play Edition. Just in case if you missed onto purchasing the Google Play edition, you can very well convert your existing HTC One M8 smartphone without much efforts. So let’s check out on how you can convert the same with the help of detailed instructions, but before this you will have to make sure that you need to follow the list of detailed pre requisite instructions.
Note: For applying this update, you need to unlock the boot loader and install the custom recovery image in the device.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your device needs to be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps manually and not with the HTC Sync.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your HTC Sync so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Make sure that you have Unlocked the Boot loader of HTC One M8 and installed the custom recovery image and rooted your HTC One M8.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your HTC Sync due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article.
- Once you have backed up all the data in your device, you now will have to proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device with the Google Play Edition of firmware in your HTC One M8 Android device.
Guide to Update HTC One M8 with Google Play Edition Firmware:
- Download the Google Play Edition Image from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original cable and place the same in your device.
- Disconnect the device and turn Off the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Down button, tap on the Power button once to turn the device ON in the boot loader mode. In boot loader mode, navigate to the recovery using the Volume down and select the same with the help of Power button.
- In recovery mode, select options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone by selecting the options like “Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache” so that all the cache data gets erased in the device.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device. Once the firmware is selected, it will take around 3 – 5 minutes for applying the update.
- Once done, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot in normal mode” for rebooting the device normally. Please note that it may sometime take more than 2 -3 minutes for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
- To check on whether your phone is updated or not, you need to check the same from the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware version will be detailed as Google Play Edition as shown in the below reference screen shot.
Note: If at all your HTC One M8 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you long press the power button and repeat the whole process again.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of updating your HTC One M8 with the Google PLAY Edition firmware.