Rooting your Android phone might be for various purposes and it has its own benefits. Read What is Android Rooting and its Advantages or Disadvantages? . In this post, we will be covering how to download and install RSD Lite to root your Motorola Droid smartphone and also install custom Froyo 2.2 Android ROM.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible for any sorts of bricking the phone but if you don’t follow the below mentioned instructions carefully then there’s a high probability that you may end up bricking the device. Also, rooting the phone will void the warranty, though it can be re-claimed once you un root the device. Though bricking your device is highly unlikely to happen if you follow the instructions given here.
Download the following before getting started with the rooting process :
- RSD Lite 5.6
- ROM Onix Beta 20 ( Custom ROM Android 2.2 )
- SPRecovery ESE81
- Motorola Droid USB Device Drivers 32-bit
- Motorola Droid USB Device Drivers 64-bit
- Note that you will have to download 32-bit or 64-bit drivers as needed, depending on whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system on your computer. Download and install the USB device drivers.
- Once you have downloaded the software needed above, make sure your Motorola droid smartphone has enough charge to get started with. If not, charge your phone and then get started with the process.
Steps to Root
- Make sure your Motorola phone is disconnected from the computer.
- Open the RSD Lite 5.6 RAR file and extract the contents. Now double click the RSD Lite 5.6 Icon and begin the installation. Proceed with the installation by agreeing with the terms and conditions, and complete the installation fully. Once it has been installed, click and open RSD Lite program.
- Now, connect your Motorola droid to the PC via USB and as soon as it gets detected, press and hold the power button and shut the phone off.
- Now, slide open the keyboard of your Motorola Droid 2.1. If the phone is facing you with the USB cable towards your left, the rocker button will be located at the bottom. Press the rocker button up and press and hold the power button for about five seconds.
- The phone will enter into the bootloader mode. Now from the set of the files you have downloaded from above, find the file with the .rdf extension, choose that and click Start in the RSD Lite software.
- Wait till the proress bar shows 100 per cent. If it displays the status as “in progress” but the progress bar shows a full 100 percent, that’s considered done as well.
- Restart your phone. You will now see Superuser in the App drawer along with the list of other apps on your phone. Your phone is successfully rooted.
- Navigate to the Onix Beta ROM you had downloaded and rename it to “update.zip” . Now connect the SD card of your phone via a card reader to your PC and copy this file into the root directory of the SD card.
- Now, turn your Motorola droid on by pressing the “X” key on the keyboard and the power button simultaneously. Note : You have to turn the phone on as specified and not by just pressing the power button. The phone now boots into the Recovery mode. Also note that the touchscreen won’t work in this interface and you will have to use the rocker to navigate through and make selections in these menus.
- Use the rocker to navigate up and down in your menu and choose Wipe data/factory reset . You can choose the option by pressing the rocker button.
- Once it is completed, choose the wipe cache button option there and let that process complete as well.
- Make sure Step 1 has been completed successfully and now, move up and choose the Install -> Allow update.zip option.
- Now select Install->sdcard->update.zip and choose it by pushing the rocker button. You will now see some processes which are taking place automatically, just leave it till it says “Complete”
- Go back by pressing the power button and choose the ‘Reboot System now’ option.
- Your phone will now boot into the Onix 2.2 Custom ROM and you can start using it as you like.
Your phone is now rooted and runs a custom ROM as well. Enjoy the custom ROM on your Motorola Droid device.