Download & Install Samsung Galaxy S4 TouchWiz 5 Launcher on Any Android 4.1+ Device
The TouchWiz UI from Samsung is not that intuitive and attractive but the interface in the Samsung Galaxy S4 is powered by the TouchWiz 5 UI which is a little different and better than the earlier versions, and the interface in other Galaxy devices from Samsung. If you are a fan of the TouchWiz interface and wanted to have that into your device, you just need to ensure that the device has to have the Android Jelly Bean 4.1 or 4.2 version installed and it has to be rooted. There is a launcher made by XDA-Developers Senior Member emwno who made quite a lot of changes and included widgets in the launcher to bring you a good experience of the TouchWiz UI seen in the Galaxy S4.
The features of the launcher include the retaining of the TouchWiz home screen transitions, along with the app drawer transitions which too are quite standard. The AOSP launcher which was seen in the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version had the splitting of the app drawer into Apps and Widgets section, and that is what you get to see in this launcher too. In this launcher, the user would get to check the downloaded or installed apps by filtering out the system apps.
The launcher supports a total of 7 home screens, just like in the Galaxy S4 and the pinching would bring the home screen edit options with all the home screens at a place to shift them around. The launcher doesn’t limit itself to just these, but you can even create folders through the app drawer, and can also uninstall and hide apps, new drawer page creation and sorting of the apps in either the alphabetical order in either grid or list view, or arranging in a customized order.
You shouldn’t be expecting the same Accuweather widget that is present in the Galaxy S4 but still it looks decent and it does what you expect from it, with the six day forecast overview in the weather page. To install the launcher, you would have to be ready with the following requirements:
- Galaxy S4 TouchWiz 5 Launcher: XHDPI | HDPI
- A rooted Android phone with the Android 4.1 or Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS
- A custom recovery installed in the device
Now, to install the launcher you need to do the following steps:
- Based on the device’s resolution, download the launcher from the above links and then copy the downloaded file to the root of the device’s storage
- Now, reboot the device but in a recovery mode. Then in the recovery mode, the first step to perform is to take a Nandroid backup to keep the data safe if at all any issues happen
- Install the zip file by browsing the file system
- Wipe cache and dalvik cache, and remember not to do a factory reset
On which ROMs would this Galaxy S4 launcher work?
It’s working on mostly all the ROMs, including the Stock ROM, Stock AOSP, the Custom AOSP by CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android, TouchWiz UI, Sony or LG’s device UI. Following are the devices where the developer has already tested the launcher and it worked well:
- Samsung: Galaxy Note II / LTE, Galaxy S III / LTE, Galaxy S II / Skyrocket, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy W
- Sony: Xperia Arc / S, Xperia Pro, Xperia Neo / V, Galaxy S Advance, Xperia Play, Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia Z, Xperia T, Xperia Ray, Xperia Mini / Pro
- LG: Optimus G, Optimus 4X HD, Nexus 4, Optimus Black, Optimus LTE, Optimus II,
- HTC: One X, One X+, One V, One S