Till now there were two ways with which we used to apply the update to your phone which are by either using the Official KIES tool and the second one being the Odin flash tool for all your Samsung phones. KIES is the tools with which the official updates are pushed, while the Odin is used to apply all the beta and the un official updates to the Samsung devices. But now to a surprise, the Chain fire has come up with a tool called “Mobile Odin” which will empower you to flash or apply the updates right from your phone.
To use the Mobile Odin it’s very simple, all you need to do is to just dump the firmware files to your phone and straight from your phone you will be in a position to apply the update. As of now this tool supports just a limited set of phones, but as the time progresses we will get to see such tools for other phones as well. As of now this Mobile Odin Supports,
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100,
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000,
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 &
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″ GT-P1000
Note: This application will only work if you are having the Root access enabled in your device, for all the non-rooted phones you still need to make use of desktop version of Odin to update the firmwares.
Salient Features of Mobile ODIN:
- The biggest advantage of this tool is that the root access even after applying the firmware update will be intact. There are two versions of this application which are the Mobile Odin Lite and Mobile Odin Pro edition. The lite version comes for free, while the Pro version is a paid app which you can download from the Android Market Place or from the below mentioned link.
- From the desktop ODIN you had to choose the options like “PDA”, “PHONE”, and “CSC” buttons. All three of these buttons have now been replaced by the “Open file …” button. This will open up the file which you select from the SD Card and also will find all the partitions which it can flash inside that file. So, just in case if you wish to select the .tar file which has Kernel and Modem then the partitions will be setup for .tar file to flash the same.
- If you have the pro version, after selection of files you need to configure the Ever Root option as it allows you to root the firmware while it’s being flashed. So, no more hassles of rooting the firmware again separately or waiting for the same. After finishing the configuration of Ever Root, you will have to select the option of “Flash Firmware”. As soon as you select, the Mobile Odin will compile all the information it needs and will perform the process of flashing.
- Before starting, it will check for the minimum battery level of 50% and also will verify the MD5 check sums of the files which you have selected so that there are no more issues after applying the update.
- Once everything is processed and firmware is updated successfully, the phone will be restarting in the recovery mode and will flash the firmware which you have selected.
Do let us know if you would like to make use of this application as down the line in the future, we may use this tool to update the firmware in your phone so that even on the move you will be able to install latest firmwares for your phone.
*Thanks to Chainfire