With Nexus S launched in India many of the users now would have bought the same, so let’s check out how you can start customizing the same. In the due course of this article we will see on how you can easily install he so called a new ROM which is known as Cyanogen Mod in your Samsung Nexus S. Cyanogen Mod has recently launched an all new version of 7.0.2. So, let’s check out the same on how you can install it. Before we proceed make sure that this actually voids the warranty, though once you go to official firmware you can regain the warranty. Please note that if you have earlier rooted your Samsung Nexus S then you will have to root Nexus S again as without rooting you can’t you can’t install the Cyanogen mod 7.0.2.
Ensure that you will have to back up all the data such as text messages, call logs, applications, contacts, music and other multimedia files as in the process of firmware update your phone will be refreshed and all the data will be cleared. So, once you take appropriate backup then you can restore all of them. Also, ensure that your Nexus S is charged by an at least of 50% so as to facilitate smoother firmware update and also follow the below mentioned instructions carefully or else you may end up bricking your phone. You can alternatively move all the applications in your SD card but if there is any unlikely event then you may lose all the data from your phone. Since the Nexus S comes with the boot loader you will have to unlock the same by following the below procedure after which you will have to install the clock work mod recovery image and then you will have to install the Cyanogen Mod file in your Samsung Nexus S.
Procedure to unlock Boot loader:
- Please note that if you already have unlocked the boot loader then you need not follow this procedure to unlock the boot loader.
- First of all you will have to fastboot on your computer after which you can unlock the boot loader easily. You need to install the Android SDK to get fastboot in the computer.
- After installing the fast boot you will have to power the Nexus S and need to hold Volume Up and power button till the device is booted in the boot loader after which you will see the white screen with Android logo in the skating mode, now at this stage connect the Nexus S to the computer with the help of USB cable.
- Now, from your computer you will have to open the terminal window and then enter the below command,
Fastboot oem unlock
- Now, in your phone the standard terms and conditions will be shown wherein it will warn you about the warranty void and then press Volume Up to select the Yes option and then press the Power button to confirm the selection. Please note that after selecting this option all the data in your phone will be wiped off completely.
- As soon as the power button is pressed, the Nexus S device will be rebooted.
Procedure to install Clock Work Mod Recovery Image:
ROM Manager Method:
- First up you will have to search and install the latest ROM Manager application from the Android Market Place and then open the ROM manager application and select flash Clock Work Mod Recovery option.
- After this, click on the Nexus S option and then give the app the permission to root if it prompts. Please note that at this time if the phone hangs or freezes up then you need to repeat the last two steps which are mentioned above.
- Once the device is successfully flashed then you will see the message saying “Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!”, just click on the same after which you will see that the Clock Work Mod Recovery is installed in your nexus S.
- If you are unable to flash the Clockwork Mod recovery by following the above process then you need to follow this procedure which is mentioned below,
- First up download the Clock Work Mod Recovery img file from here and place the same in the folder of fastboot in your computer which is there in the /tools in the Android SDK folder.
- Now, after this just power the Nexus S and need to hold Volume Up and power button till the device is booted in the boot loader after which you will see the white screen with Android logo in the skating mode, now at this stage connect the Nexus S to the computer with the help of USB cable.
- From your computer, open the terminal window and then run the below mentioned command,
fastbootflash recovery recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-crespo.img
After this you will see that the Clockwork Mod is successfully installed in the Nexus S after the restarting of the Nexus S device.
Procedure to install latest Cyanogen 7.0.2 in Samsung Nexus S:
First Method (via Rom Manager)
- First you will have to Launch Rom Manager application from your Samsung Nexus S and then you need to select the first option which is Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery to update the latest version.
- Now, select Download ROM option from the main menu list from the ROM Manager Menu.
- After this, select the Cyanogenmod option, and then choose the latest version of Cyanogenmod from the menu and when you select the latest version of the Cyanogenmod, ensure that you also check the Google Apps option as Google Applications too are need to be loaded.
- Now, once the ROM is finished downloading, it will prompt you to Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
Please note that if here, the Superuser prompts for root permissions, you will have to check to Remember and then Allow the corresponding operations. Now, at this moment the Samsung Nexus S will now reboot into the recovery, wipe data and cache, and then install Cyanogen Mod. When it’s finished installing it will reboot into the Cyanogen Mod and that’s it you have successfully installed the latest Cyanogen Mod 7 in your Samsung Nexus S.
Second Method (via Recovery)
- After downloading the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 7.0.2 for Samsung Nexus S along with the, place both the Cyanogen Mod as well as the of them to the root of the SD Card. Now, after this you will have to boot the Google Nexus S into the ClockworkMod Recovery mode.
- Now, once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, with the use of the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select.
- Here, now you will have to install the zip from the SD Card which can be done by choosing the Zip file from the SD card and then select the Cyanogenmod update.zip.
So, as soon as the Cyanogen Mod is installed in your Nexus S then you will have to select the +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu and where you will have to select the option of “reboot system now”. There you go, you have now successfully installed the latest Cyanogen Mod 7.02 in your Samsung Nexus S. Alternatively you can also install the latest Honeycomb in Nexus S which comes with Motorola Xoom as of now.