How to Run Android Apps on your PC with Virtual Box
Android, the latest block buster in the Mobile space has managed to get a good hefty number of users, so are you still thinking that you want to try the same before you take a decision on to go for adopting Android or not? Then let’s make your work easier as we will see in this article on how you can try your favorite android application right on your PC, so that you can enjoy the Android application experience right on your computer screen. So, let’s proceed and see how we can get an Android experience on the computer itself.
Before we proceed to the procedure you will be requiring to download some of the softwares on your computer which are Virtual Box and also Android x86 iso (has two options, either you can download android-x86-1.6-r2.iso if you want to try out Android 1,6 version apps or you can download froyo-vm-20100812.iso if you want to experience froyo apps on the computer.)
Procedure to Run Android Apps on your PC with Virtual Box:
- Firstly, you need to launch the Virtual Box and need to click on the New option. When the Create New Virtual Machine window pops up, you need to click on Next.
- As soon as you name the virtual machine, you will have to choose Linux as operating system which will be shown in Version drop down menu and also now you will have to choose Linux 2.6 and then click on Next to proceed.
- Now, after selecting the operating system and the operating version, in the next step, you will have to set base memory size. It’s recommended to select 256MB which is more than enough after which click on Next to proceed to next step.
- Now, after selecting the base memory, its time to choose Create new hard disk option and then click on the Next, after which a new window will be popping up and then you need to click on the Dynamically expanding storage, Name your vdi file, set its size (recommended to set 300mb as it’s more than enough), Finish and then again select Finish.
- In the next step, you need to go back to program’s main interface, right-click on your new machine and then you will have to choose the Settings.
- Now, in the new pop up window, you will have to go to Network option, click on Advanced and set Adapter type to PCnet-FAST III and then click on the OK option to save the configured setting. It’s very important to follow this step or else you will not be able to connect to the internet.
- Now, as shown go to Storage option, select Empty disk, click on Folder icon on the right and choose Add and then Point it to your Android iso file, click on OK to save the configured settings.
- Now, as shown above, click on the Start option for launching the android device. If you encounter with any sort of problem then you just need to choose Enter and skip the same. Now, choose Live CD, Run Android and select x86 without installing at the time of boot screen.
- As soon as you see the screen like above, it means that you have got into the Android OS device machine, now go to Machine and select Disable Mouse Integration.
- Now, go to the Main menu, Settings, Applications, Check on Unknow sources and then select OK to save all the configured settings after which you will be able to install apps even from unknown sources as shown below.
- Now, again go back to main menu by pressing ESC button through the keyboard and choose App Store. You may have to wait for its first update and then you can choose your software so that it can be downloaded as the softwares are divided into the categories as shown below.
- Now, when the download process is done, simply hold and drag down the top bar and then choose the application after which you can install it.
The above procedure can be implemented in any of the Windows based computers which are powered with either Windows XP or 7 version with both Android 1.6 and 2.2 froyo versions. Also, please note that, since the above applications which you can see is not an actual Android Market place but it’s just a simulated one, so finding all apps here is not possible. You might face some issues like a lag while trying the apps of froyo but its just a temporary one as you may or may not experience the same.