How to Update Google Nexus S to 2.3.4 Firmware Update
Updates, Updates and Updates. Android doesn’t seem to be stopping, with leaks, betas and hundreds of different ROMs, the world of Android is really becoming bigger and bigger day by day. So, adding to the list of updates, now an all new and the latest version of Android’s Gingerbread 2.3.4 has arrived for Samsung’s Nexus S. Google’s Samsung Nexus S has recently launched in India and this update comes as a great sigh of relief as this update brings in lot of new features in the Nexus S which will be surely loved. The best part of this update is that any one from any part of the World can update their Nexus S with the below mentioned update and also the warranty will not be void in any manner if you update your phone with the below mentioned update of 2.3.4.
New Features in 2.3.4 Update for Samsung’s Google Nexus S:
If we have a look at the new set of features which the 2.3.4 update brings in then you will definitely have a reason to cheer. Right from the new features like Google Maps 5.1 with 3D view to the latest version of Google Books to an all new Voice search 2.1.1 with enhanced voice actions. It doesn’t stop here either as you with this update also brings in the Video chat capability in the Google Chat itself which currently is only available in the Android 3.0 Honeycomb version and also there are many bug fixes have been done like many of the users have reported that some of the phones shuts down or reboots automatically which has now been fixed with this update. Soon, Nexus One as well as other phones too will get this 2.3.4 update.
In this update, the Wi Fi as well as 3G icons both indicate that they are active and also the strange behavior of the phone’s status bar has now been fixed. Battery life has been substantially optimized for providing longer battery life but it doesn’t seem to be longer enough to match the expectations of most of the users. GPS Location as well as the navigation has now been improved with which location problems will be solved leading to the showcase of accurate location. Also, last but not the least please note that this update is not the official update but is the leak which is almost equivalent to the official update which will be rolled out very soon.
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Last but not the least ensure that your phone is Samsung’s Google Nexus S and not any other phone as if you proceed installing any other phone then there is a high possibility that you will brick your phone after which your phone will become un usable.
Procedure to install the latest 2.3.4 update in Nexus S:
- First up you will have to download the 2.3.4 update package and which you will have to connect the Nexus S with your computer using the USB cable.
- Now, just simply copy the downloaded file to the root of your internal SD card, please note that you should not unzip or modify the downloaded file or place this file in the sub folders as if you do so then your phone will not be able to detect the update file.
- As soon as you copy the file, just disconnect the USB connection and simply turn off the Nexus S phone.
- Now, after this remove the sim card and external memory cards if any and then put the battery again in the phone as you will have to now power ON the device in the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode in your Nexus S can be turned ON by pressing the Volume Up key and then press the Power ON button simultaneously.
- If the phone turns on in the normal way then you will have to try getting into the recovery mode by following the above steps.
- So, now once you get into the recovery mode, you will see an option “apply update from /sdcard”.
- Just select the same and select the firmware file which you have placed in the phone and then simply press the “Power” button to select the same.
- As soon as you select the firmware zip file, the processing of the update starts and it will take approximate time of 5 – 7 minutes. As soon as processing of the files get’s finished you will see that again recovery mode will be shown in the Nexus S. Now you will have to select the option of “reboot” to reboot the same.
That’s it, you have now successfully upgraded the Google Nexus S with the latest Android 2.3.4 version. Do, leave a comment below if you come across any of the issues as we are happy to help. Soon we will also come out with a tutorial on how to root Samsung Nexus S 2.3.4.
Note : If you have got a super user access in the 2.3.3 update then you this access will be lost once you update with this 2.3.4 and also after the firmware update some of the users might lose their Internet APN Settings, so to access the Internet you will have to again configure the Internet Settings to access Internet and other data services.