How To Update HTC EVO 4G to Gingerbread 2.3.3 Firmware
Yay! Of Yippee! Will only be the words after you know that your all new HTC Evo 4G has now got an update of Gingerbread 2.3.3 update. Though this update is being pushed very slowly all across the World, we will see on how you can update with the same manually in the due course of the article. Right from the enhancements to the new things which comes along with this update to the pre requisites of the update to the procedure to update your phone with the same, we will watch them all in this article.
Irrespective of the version on which you are currently On, you can easily proceed to update your device but it’s very important to follow all the instructions which are given below carefully as if you don’t follow even a single instruction then there is a high possibility that you may end up bricking up your device, so make sure that you follow the instructions below so as to facilitate the smoother firmware update process.
Since you are not rooting the phone, the warranty will not be void and updating with this firmware doesn’t mean that you are rooting the device.
Enhancements in this update:
- While most of the Android phones are getting the latest Gingerbread update and so does the changes are evident. So, let’s check out on what are the things which have been improved a lot in this version.
- The downloads can now be managed in a better manner as with an all new downloads special dedicated icon in the applications.
- The earlier’s sprint navigation is now replaced with the bug free Tele Nav Application which offers free service which is accurate enough but one can opt for a 5$ service for extra features.
- Previously when you press the power button to turn your device off then the device used to switch off instantly but now you will get options like Power Off, Airplane mode as well as an added option called Restart now.
- Flip for Speaker sound settings allows you to activate the speaker phone during calls by turning your phone over and also the pocket mode in the sound settings now increases the volume considerably and also the group message feature is added in the default sms application in this new update.
- After this update you will also find the Copy / Paste option more fluid and simpler and along with that Volume rocker sound for increases/decreases in volume has changed and not to forget about the inclusion of SIP Calling and also you can now enable Animated GIFs within the stock Browser without any issues like hanging.
- Now, the free RAM too is increased and it also releases more RAM to the users directly so that the phone becomes much faster as the RAM availability has been increased to the users so that apps can make use of it and also the start-up time has been marginally reduced by two points. The quadrant speeds have been substantially improved and also the user interface is now much speedier than before. This update is considered as the major update with almost all the fixes.
Bugs in this Update:
- The profile widget is removed from the screen which may be added in the next update and also the application called Shoot me doesn’t work anymore.
- Very unusual voice mail notifications being displayed. To fix this go to Settings > Call > Clear Voicemail Notification. They may come back after restarting the phone and may periodically pop up throughout the day
- There are some issues in the battery front too but the battery is marginally improved than earlier but it doesn’t live up to the battery longevity needs as expected with the update. Also, the Netflix has issues loading as the Android Market Place shows an error that its only compatible with the Android 2.2 version which too is expected to get solved in the next version.
- As soon as the phone is turned ON, the screen comes back but the animation as well as the brightness tends to look dimmer than before and also this happens the same with both these Sense as well as the Launcher Pro.
Pre Requisites for updating Evo 4G:
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your HTC Evo 4G,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
Note : If you have got a super user access in the 2.3.3 update then you this access will be lost once you update with this 2.3.4 and also after the firmware update some of the users might lose their Internet APN Settings, so to access the Internet you will have to again configure the Internet Settings to access Internet and other data services.
Procedure to update HTC Evo 4G to Gingerbread 2.3.3:
- To update, first up you will have to download the Over the Air update zip file after which you will have to rename the file as “update.zip” and not to any other file name like even update.zip.zip as if you do so, the file will not be recognized by the phone.
- Now, after downloading the firmware package, you will have to copy the firmware file as it is into your phone, please note that you don’t unzip or modify the file name in any manner or else the update file will not be recognized by the phone and the update.
- So, after the transfer of the file, you will have to turn off the HTC Evo 4G phone and need to pull off the USB cable which is connected to the phone and the computer.
- Now, after copying the file you will have to power off the device, then hold volume down and when you hit then power button to power back on you will see that the device will now be turned ON in the recovery mode.
- Please note that if recovery mode is not turned ON ten you will have to try again the key combination so as to enter the device in the recovery mode.
- Now you will have to select the bootloader with the power button, then scroll down to Recovery and select it with the power button,
- Now next up press the power button and volume up button at the same time, it could take couple of trials and after that with the help of the trackball you will have to choose “Apply sdcard:update.zip” and then you will have to select the file which you have placed in the phone which is nothing but the update file. Please note that the below picture is just for reference so it may vary with the actual image.
- Just select the same and select the firmware file which you have placed in the phone and then simply press the “Power” button to select the same.
- As soon as you select the firmware zip file, the processing of the update starts and it will take approximate time of 5 – 7 minutes. As soon as processing of the files get’s finished you will see that again recovery mode will be shown in the HTC Evo 4G. Now you will have to select the option of “reboot” to reboot the same. After the reboot the home screen will be turned on, just in case if you are prompted to select the language then you will have to select the same.
That’s it, you have now successfully upgraded the HTC Evo 4G with the latest Android’s Gingerbread 2.3.3 version. Do, leave a comment below if you come across any of the issues as we are happy to help. Soon we will also come out with a tutorial on how to root HTC Evo 4G 2.3.3. Please note that if you come across any issues then you will have to repeat the whole procedure again from the start so as to update the firmware again.