So how many of of you has HTC Evo 4G? So, let’s check out on how you can install the latest version of an all new Cyanogen 7 ROM in your HTC Evo 4G, if you missed out, last time we saw on how you can easily install the latest beta release of Gingerbread 2.3 on HTC Evo 4G. HTC Evo 4G comes along with the best of the class hardware specifications which opens up to a whole new set of customizations and as a result one can easily install the choice of ROM in this device.
So, now before proceeding to the procedure on how to install the Cyanogen Mod 7, you will have to first up root your HTC Evo 4G, then flash the radio in Evo 4G followed by the Clock Work Mod recovery installation and then you can proceed to actual installation of Cyanogen Mod 7 in Evo 4G.
Pre Rooting Instructions:
- Do ensure that you have created a backup of all the applications, messages, contacts, images and also multimedia files along with the call log too as in an unlikely event you may lose all the data after rooting the device.
- Rooting basically voids the warranty, so ensure that you are ready for it and also most importantly proceed to root your device you should know what rooting is and what are its benefits, if you will make use of those then its recommended to go ahead and it’s not recommended for the newbie.
- Ensure that your battery is charged with an at least more than 50% as the higher the battery life the lesser will be the problems as this process will require some of the battery as it will drain battery a bit as this is a very important thing which most of the users miss out.
Procedure to Root HTC Evo 4G
- First up you will have to go to the unrevoked website and need to select the HTC Evo 4G device and then if you are on the Windows based operating system then you will have to install the HBoot drivers on your computer.
- After this you will have to connect the HTC Evo 4G device to the computer with the help of USB cable and then need to run the unrevoked software, the installation process will take some time and as soon as the installation process is done, the phone will boot into the Clock Work Mod Recovery.
- So, after the recovery you will have the SU access and also the clock work mod recovery will be installed in the place of stock recovery mode.
Note that if your device is locked then too by using this revoked method you can easily unlock your device. Please note that rooting the device will void the warranty, though unrooting the device will bring back the warranty but its bit of a task to do that as un rooting some of the HTC devices is a very lengthy and tedious process. Now, when you have successfully unlocked the device, let’s proceed and se on how you can flash the radio. Don’t panic if the default HTC battery icon is replaced by the Clock Work Mod’s default battery.
Procedure to Flash Radio on HTC Evo 4G:
- First up you will have to download the latest radio version on your computer and then you will have to place this radio update.zip file in the root of your SD card, please note that you don’t put the file inside any folder or else it will not get detected by the phone.
- Now, after placing the radio file in the root of the phone, just turn off the phone and then boot the phone in the Amon Ra’s recovery mode which can be done by Scrolling Up and down with the Volume buttons and then push the power button to select the option “Flash Zip from SD Card”.
- Select the radio update.zip file after which the device will be rebooting while it processes the update file.
- Now, once the installation is finished, you will be again landing up on the same page where you will have to select the “Reboot System” option and after that you will see that you will be on base band version 2.15.00.11.19 after which you will have to proceed for the Clock Work Mode process which is mentioned below.
Procedure for installing Clock Work Mod Recovery Process:
Method 1: (ROM Manager)
- After downloading the latest radio version, you need to place the same at the root of your phone’s SD card, please note that you don’t place this file inside some folder as if you do so then while updating the file will not be found and recognized.
- No, you will have to open the ROM Manager from your phone and after which just simply choose to “install ROM from SD Card” and then select the radio zip file by navigating to the location of your SD card and then just need to follow the on screen instructions and once the installation is finished, the phone will be rebooted and after which the clock work mod recovery will be induced in your phone.
Method 2 : (Recovery)
- If you are unable to perform or proceed by following the above method then you need to follow this step, if you have succeeded by following the above process then there is no need to follow this alternate CWM process via Recovery mode.
- After downloading the latest radio version (2.15.00.11.19) you need to place the same at the root of the device by renaming the radio file by update.zip so that your phone will recognize the update zip file.
- Next up you will have to power off the HTC Evo 4G device and boot into the Clock Work Mod Recovery by holding the volume down button while powering On the device. So, once you are into the Clock work mod recovery screen you will have to select the install zip from sd card option with the help of pressing the power button.
- Select choose zip from sd card after which your device will be rebooting by itself to finish the process of updation.
So, once the installation process s finished, choose to Reboot System Now after which you are ready to flash the Cyanogen Mod by following the below procedure.
Procedure to flash Cyanogen Mod 7:
Method 1 (ROM Manager)
- After downloading the latest Cyanogen Mod 7 along with the latest version of Google Apps package, you need to place both the files in the root of your device’s SD Card. You need to ensure that you are renaming the main Cyanogen Mod 7 ROM file as update.zip and Google Apps file as GoogleApps.zip and then place the same in the root of SD Card.
- Now, you need to boot into the Amon Ra’s recovery and once you enter this recovery mode you will have to scroll up and down with the help of the track ball to select the option of “Wipe” and also “Wipe data / factory reset” and then select the “Flash Zip from sd card” after which you will have to select the cyanogen mod update.zip after selecting the same you will have to also install the Google Apps update.zip after which you just need to reboot the phone and then CM7 will be successfully installed on your phone.
Method 2 CWM Recovery (ROM Manager)
- First you will have to Launch Rom Manager application from your HTC Evo 4G and then you need to select the first option which is Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery to update the latest version.
- Now, select Download ROM option from the main menu list from the ROM Manager Menu.
- After this, select the Cyanogenmod option, and then choose the latest version of Cyanogenmod from the menu and when you select the latest version of the Cyanogenmod, ensure that you also check the Google Apps option as Google Applications too are need to be loaded.
- Now, once the ROM is finished downloading, it will prompt you to Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
Please note that if here, the Superuser prompts for root permissions, you will have to check to Remember and then Allow the corresponding operations. Now, at this moment the HTC Evo 4G will now reboot into the recovery, wipe data and cache, and then install Cyanogen Mod. When it’s finished installing it will reboot into the Cyanogen Mod and that’s it you have successfully installed the latest Cyanogen Mod 7 in your HTC Evo 4G.
Second Method (via Recovery)
- After downloading the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 7 for HTC Evo 4G along with the, place both the Cyanogen Mod as well as the Google Apps of them to the root of the SD Card. Now, after this you will have to boot the HTC Evo 4G into the ClockworkMod Recovery mode.
- Now, once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, with the use of the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select.
- Here, now you will have to install the zip from the SD Card which can be done by choosing the Zip file from the SD card and then select the Cyanogenmod update.zip
You can choose any of the above methods to install the latest version of Cyanogen Mod 7 on your HTC Evo 4G. Do, let us know if you face any issues while updating with this Cyanogen Mod version.