How To Update Motorola Xoom to Honeycomb 3.1
On account of Google I/O, Google seems to be on fire with all the unveiling of future plans in the World conference and how can be the hot topic of firmware update can be left behind and so does Google announced an all new Honeycomb 3.1 version in terms of SDK and also Google announced the launch of this Honeycomb 3.1 version for Motorola Xoom which was the first tablet which was launched with the Honeycomb officially earlier this year. Though there are many notable changes in this Honeycomb 3.1 version, there are many things which are really amazing in this version which we will be seeing in the due course of this article.
Improvements in the Android’s Honeycomb 3.1
- Right from adding the native resizeable widgets which is really very visually appealing to the inclusion of the USB host support which again was a mostly demanded feature, HTML 5 playback without needing to install any third party applications which means that all you need to play a video is just a <video> tag in Android’s native browser. The user interface transitions now feel much more fluidic and also most importantly the Launcher animation is optimized for faster, smoother transition to and from the Apps list. Adjustments in color, positioning, and text make UI elements easier to see, understand, and use this 3.1 version of Honeycomb. Accessibility is improved with consistent audible feedback throughout the UI and a new setting to let users customize the touch-hold interval to meet their needs.
- Navigation to and from the five home screens is now easier and also touching the Home button in the system bar now takes you to the home screen most recently used. Additionally the Settings offer an improved view of internal storage, showing the storage used by a larger set of file types.
- Connectivity for the USB devices have been now enhanced, as the users can attach many types of input devices (keyboards, mice, game controllers) and digital cameras.
- Users will now be able to expand the recent apps list, resize the home screen widgets, can enjoy the benefit of robust Wi Fi networking, all the applications have been updated like the browser app now includes a variety of new features and UI improvements that make viewing web content simpler, faster, and more convenient, quick Controls UI, accessible from Browser Settings, is extended and redesigned.
- The Gallery has been redesigned to a very better manner as the Gallery app now supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP), so that users can connect their cameras over USB and import their pictures to Gallery with a single touch. The app also copies the pictures to local storage and provides an indicator to let users see how much space is available along with many other numerous developer add-ons. Not to forget the battery life too is increased in Xoom with this update
Note: Next up will be the Pre Upgrade instructions, if you are used to the updating of the device then you may skip those instructions and proceed to the procedure to manually update.
Pre Upgrade instructions
- Ensure that you have created a backup of all the applications, messages, contacts, images and also multimedia files along with the call log too as in an unlikely event you may lose all the data after rooting the device. After updating is finished in your device then you can easily restore them back into the device.
- Rooting basically voids the warranty, so ensure that you are ready for it and also most importantly proceed to root your device you should know what rooting is and what are its benefits, if you will make use of those then its recommended to go ahead and it’s not recommended for the newbie.
- Ensure that your battery is charged with an at least more than 50% as the higher the battery life the lesser will be the problems as this process will require some of the battery as it will drain battery a bit as this is a very important thing which most of the users miss out.
- Since the device’s firmware will be updated to the another version, all the APN settings will be cleared, so to access the Internet and to get the MMS you will have to again reconfigure the APN Settings to access the Internet on your Motorola Xoom tablet .
Procedure to manually update Motorola Xoom with the Honeycomb 3.1 version:
- First of all you will have to root Motorola Xoom by following the instructions carefully and as mentioned in the article.
- After rooting your Motorola Xoom, you will have to ensure that you have ADB Setup in your computer and then proceed to download the Honeycomb 3.1 update for Xoom in your computer. Please note that after downloading in your computer, you rename the same to update.zip and not to update.zip.zip as the Xoom will not recognize the firmware file.
- Now, after this with the help of original USB cable which you have got at the time of purchase of Xoom tablet connect the same with your computer and Xoom after which move the update.zip file which you have downloaded from the above link to your Motorola Xoom without renaming the zip file to the “tools” folder which is in the SDK folder in your computer.
- Now, as soon as you copy the file, you will now have to start the command prompt and then you will have to run the below mentioned commands as mentioned below, before entering the commands int he adb ensure that you are entering all the commands correctly and not wrongly as this may invite un necessary issues which may or may not be repairable,
adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip
echo ‘–update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip’ > command
cat /sdcard/update.zip > update.zip
So, that’s it, you will now see that the Xoom will now be rebooted after finishing the whole procedure and then the Motorola Xoom will successfully be installed with the latest Honeycomb 3.1 version. Do, let us know if you come across any issues or problems as we will see to it that all problems are solved.