How To Update Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 to Froyo 2.2 Firmware
For Samsung Galaxy 3 i5801 owners there’s a great news for all you guys has arrived, yes the most awaited Froyo 2.2 has arrived for Galaxy 3 not through KIES though, but you can install this Froyo 2.2 version on your phone manually by following simple instructions which are given below. If this is the first time you are updating your phone with the firmware then you need to know first the pre requisite and important instructions before directly proceeding to flashing the device so as to continue with the smooth update process. The firmware which we will be installing will be the Asian built and not the European build, though the EU builds are said to be the stable ones but the last firmware which was released in the February 2011 was XWJPD and was having screen black out issues after the call and also the battery life was not that optimized as compared to the latest and an all new Froyo ZHJPF 2.2 Android version for your Galaxy 3 i5801(Apollo).
The firmware flashing is similar to that of we used to see for Samsung Galaxy S, we have covered nearly 10 different versions of update from 2.2 Froyo to the latest Gingerbread 2.3.3 and we look forward to deliver same firmware upgrade tutorials for other Android phones in the market too. So, after following the important instructions below you will need to follow the procedure after that.
- First up, make sure that the phone which you wish to upgrade is Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 ONLY, after this you will have to download the Flash kit for Galaxy 3 from here and you will have to unzip the same, if it prompts for the password then you need to enter the password as androidadvices.com.
- Since the firmware update process will wipe all the contacts, sms, third party applications, music, images and videos you will have to ensure that you have taken a backup of all your contents so that you can easily restore the same.
- It’s ideal to have a battery life of 100% before proceeding to upgrading the phone, but its recommended to have at least 75% of battery life for a smoother upgrade process.
- Also, make sure that your computer or laptop has a supports USB 2.0.
- Ensure that the Samsung KIES is completely closed and also disable all the antivirus programs along with all the firewalls.
Procedure to upgrade Samsung Galaxy 3 (APOLLO) to FROYO 2.2:
- First up after downloading the Flash Kit for Galaxy 3 I5801 above, you will get a zipped folder which upon unzipping you will get three files in it, one is the Firmware file itself which is 5810ZHJPF, Odin v4.252 and also Galaxy3_0531.ops file.
- After downloading and placing all the three files on the desktop so that you can easily find the folders you will have to now switch your phone Off and then pull out the Sim card as well as the Memory card so that data in it doesn’t get deleted.
- · Now, you will have to turn your phone ON in the Download Mode which basically acts as a safe mode for your phone and the same can be entered by holding the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button), while holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device by Pressing he Power ON button.
- After ensuring that firewall, KIES and also Antivirus programs are closed in computer you need to open the exe file “Odin v4.252” which you have downloaded and after which you will have to connect your phone to the computer with the help of USB cable.
As soon as you connect your phone to the computer you will see that in the “Odin Multi Downloader”, the COM Port Mapping block will turn yellow and will show up 1 (COM 6) int he box which will mean that the required drivers have been successfully installed after which in the Message field you will see that <1> Detected!!!.
- In the Option field you need to ensure that Auto Reboot, Protect OPS and Reset Time (Sec) options are ticked and in the “Reset Time (Sec) field” 300 is entered as shown in the below screen shot and also ensure that One Package field is unticked.
- In Debug Option, ensure that Debug Only is not ticked.
- Now, next up you will have to select the below mentioned FILES which you have downloaded as mentioned below in the Odin Multi downloader,
OPS – Galaxy3_0531.ops file
Boot – I5801ZFJPE-REV02-Bootloader-CL915488.tar.md5
Phone – GALAXY3_FET_REV_00_phone
PDA – I5801ZFJPE-REV02-PDA-CL915488.tar.md5
CSC – I5801FETJPD-CSC-FET.tar.md5
EFS – NONE
One Package – NONE
Do ensure and double check that the selections are done as per mentioned above.
- After double checking the selections, proceed by clicking on the “Start” option and you will see that after sometime the process will be completed, generally it takes a minute or two not more than that to finish the upgradation process, do note that you don’t pull off the USB cable in the upgradation process as this will seriously damage the phone and your phone will become no less than an expensive paper weight as that will be bricked though this is an unlikely event and if power goes in between then not to worry you just have to follow the procedure again from the start.
- As soon as the update gets finished you will see that the phone will be rebooting and you will see that you phone will be prompting you to enter all the initial settings, and now you can unplug the USB cable from your phone.
- There you go you have now successfully installed the latest Froyo 2.2 version on your Galaxy 3 I5801.
- Please note that at this point of time you may have to change the language as the language will be set to some other language, so to set the language as English you just need to refer to the pictures which are shown below,
Do let us know if you have any problems while updating as we will help you out with the same. Now, to check on which version you are on then you will have to just tap on the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.2.
Please note that this update can be applied to all the handsets with model number of Galaxy 3 I5801 or even for Apollo version. Also, once the Gingerbread 2.3 arrives for the Galaxy 3 we will let you know about the same. Most importantly by applying this update won’t mean that you have rooted your phone.