For all those who wanted to update their phones with the latest version of official Gingerbread via KIES, let’s check out the same on how you can update with the same. For all those who have recently updated their Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 phones by other ROMs like Cyanogen or even with the other leak or beta releases ranging from XXJPU, XXJPY, XWJS3, XWJS7, XXJVO or any other version you can proceed and follow the below mentioned instructions to get the official Gingerbread 2.3.3 release from Samsung officially. Please note that, only proceed to the instructions which are mentioned below if and only if your phone is Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 and not any similar looking phones like Samsung Mesmerize, Captivate like that as some of the functionalities might not work like the back key and other keys.
We will be first downgrading the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 to the official 2.1 Eclair version from your current XXXX (any version). Now, here, one may ask that,
Why Eclair and why not downgrade to the official Froyo DDJP6 2.2?
Ans: Due to some technical problems, KIES is not recognizing it as the official version and instead recognizing it as a Korean Version due to which the KIES is not providing the notification update to the Gingerbread 2.3.3 version and the only way remains is that to downgrade to the Eclair 2.1 version which is the DDJG4 version. So, let’s check out the same in the due course of this article. Also, if you have any questions regarding Android, just post the same in the comments section
Adding to your convenience, we have also added the Video tutorial on how you can update the same, but to keep it handy you will have to follow all the instructions which are mentioned below. Ranging from the pre upgrade instructions to the procedure to downgrade to the version of DDJG6 2.1 Eclair version you will have to ensure that you follow all of them so as to facilitate smoother firmware update. Please note that by doing this you will straightaway get the two benefits which are:
1. The warranty can be reclaimed after the firmware downgrade process and,
2. Also, the rooting access is revoked which means that your phone is refreshed and then at any point of time you wish to root then you can do the same by following the tutorial which is available at Androidadvices.com.
So, let’s proceed and see the pre requisites first and then followed by the instructions to update the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 with Gingerbread 2.3.3. Please note that until and un less you follow the below steps there is no way that you will get the update of official Gingerbread 2.3.3 vie KIES which is the official release.
- So, first up before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Ensure that you have kept original USB cable handy which you have got with your Galaxy S GT I9000 and also the Galaxy S device,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Ensure that your computer / laptop which runs on a XP, Vista or Windows 7 OS the firewall and other antivirus programs are disabled and also you should have admin privileges to download and install the software including the drivers and also along with this you will be requiring the USB port on your computer which supports USB 2.0.
- (Optional) Many of the Galaxy S users have reported the problem that they are unable to get into the download mode which is the top most necessity for updating your device, so for all those we came up with a tutorial here, just follow the given instructions and you can easily fix the download mode and also the recovery mode bug. This procedure is only for those whose devices unable to get into the download mode and the recovery mode.
- Please note that flashing with the firmwares doesn’t mean that you are ROOTING your device. If you have flashed with Voodoo Lag fixes then too you can easily flash your device with this firmware.
- Ensure that you have closed the KIES completely and also disable any firewalls, antivirus if any.
Procedure to downgrade / install Eclair 2.1 DDJG4:
- First of all you will have to download the Official DDJG4 Eclair Zip file from here and need to unzip the same to get a tar file named “DDJG4_IND.tar”and also the flash tool Odin. Please note that in the process of extraction, if you are prompted to enter any password then enter the password as “androidadvices.com” without the inverted comas. Preferably, extract to the desktop so that you can easily find the file for flashing it to your phone. Please note that you should not rename the file in any manner or else the files won’t be recognized by the flashing tool which is Odin in this case.
- Please note that you will have to now put your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 in the download mode which can be done by holding the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. If you have successfully entered into the download mode then you will see a green screen which is shown below. Also, additionally note that if the device boots in the normal mode with the home screen then you will have to again switch off the device and retry the process and if despite retrying you are unable to get into download mode then you will have to fix the download mode error for your phone.
- Now, after putting the Galaxy S in the download mode it’s time to open the Odin flash tool which is there in the extracted contents of the firmware folder. Just click on the Odin to open the same and after this you will have to connect the phone with the computer with the help of USB cable which you have got at the time of purchase of your Galaxy S GT I9000.
- At this moment, as soon as you connect the phone, the ID : COM block will turn yellow as you can see in the below screen shot and also in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below screenshot.
- So, after following the above steps carefully, it’s time to proceed ahead for selecting the file to downgrade the software version to the official DDJG4 Eclair 2.1. Ensuring that the phone is connected, you will have to click on the PDA option id Odin and then you will have to select the tar file which you have downloaded and extracted which is DDJG4_IND.tar. After selecting the file, you will not have to change any other parameters like the Re partition etc. Also, most importantly you don’t have to choose any files in the PIT, Phone as well as CSC in the Odin.
- After adding this file, just simply click on the “Start” option to start the firmware update process. After clicking on the start, you will see that the firmware will be installed in your phone within a time of not more than 5 minutes.
- After the Galaxy S reboots, you will have see the home screen and then choose the options accordingly and then after you see the home screen and after the completion of Media scanning, you will have to go in the recovery mode wherein you will have to delete the cache memory so that all unwanted files are removed if there are any left in the phone.
- For this you will have to first turn off your device, long press the volume up key, press Menu as holding both the buttons press the power button to start. You can see that after device gets switched ON, you will find options like clear cache data. You can clear that by selecting options Wipe data/factory reset and also you need to select Wipe Cache partition after which you need to reboot your device by selecting reboot system now after which your Galaxy S will be rebooting and again you will have to set up your Google accounts etc. Doing this will not only optimize the battery but will also remove all the data flux from your phone.
- For checking on which firmware you are currently on, you will have to go to the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version where you will find the version of Android OS where it will show 2.3.3. As you can see above that we have shown some of the images of latest Gingerbread update.
So, there you go you have now successfully updated your phone with the Eclair 2.1 version DDJG4. Now, after this if you want to get the official update of Gingerbread then you will have to refer this tutorial to Update Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 to the latest Gingerbread DDJV6 2.3.3.