How to Update Samsung Nexus S GT I9023 to 2.3.4 Firmware Update
If you are owning a handset which is dubbed as Samsung I9023 then here’s a great news as now you can upgrade your firmware from your current Gingerbread 2.3.3 to the latest 2.3.4 version of Gingerbread. The first and foremost question from your side may be what the things which are being updated are in the new version of 2.3.4. So, let’s check out the same and see on what are the things which have been updated in the 2.3.4 version. Since this is the official phone from the Google itself very soon you will be receiving the Over the Air update for your phone but before it reaches to you and Google along with the Samsung sets the platform to push this update to your device, we will see on how you can update even before the update reaches you.
To update your Samsung I9023, its very simple, all you need to do is to just simply follow the below mentioned instructions so that easily you can upgrade the current 2.3.3 with the latest 2.3.4 version of Gingerbread which comes along with the host of better services and the improvements which are mentioned below. It’s also in the air that soon there will be another stability release for this phone of 2.3.4 version which will be the final update and will solve all the issues if there are any which are reported in this version of Gingerbread 2.3.4. Please note that this phone is different from the normal and regular Samsung Nexus S, so match the model number carefully.
Improvements with the 2.3.4 update:
- Wait for the Google Maps 5.1 3D is over as with an all new update of 2.3.4, you will now be able to access the Google Maps of 5.1 version in 3D and also not only this you will now be able to enjoy their improved version of Google Books as well as Voice search 2.1.1 version which has the capability to detect the voice actions more accurately.
- Things doesn’t stop here with this update as you can now enjoy the most waited feature of video chat facility with your native Gtalk client without any add ons as this update does it all so that your Gtalk will now be powering the capability of Video chat and also several other issues which were related to the Gtalk are also now stands solved as many of the users reported that the Gtalk client goes into the Offline mode when the data speeds become lower or even in low Wi Fi speeds Gtalk tends to go in the offline mode.
- Many users also reported an issue of frequent force closes in their gallery application which is now been fixed with this update of 2.3.4. By the way if you want to have an all new Gallery for Android then too you can enjoy it as it provides the iPhone like view of all the photos which are there in the Gallery with host of other added benefits and features.
- Wi Fi and the 3G icons both of them indicate that they are active and also the strange behavior of the phone’s status bar has now been fixed. Battery life has been substantially optimized for providing longer battery life but it doesn’t seem to be longer enough to match the expectations of most of the users. GPS Location as well as the navigation has now been improved with which location problems will be solved leading to the showcase of accurate location.
- Some of the users reported that the Android Market Place encounters some of the stability issues and doesn’t respond when many applications are used simultaneously or when the Internet speed is less, this issue now has been fixed successfully with the help of this update of 2.3.4.
- The battery too has been perfectly optimized well in this all new update of 2.3.4 for Samsung I9023, so now with this update you can marginally experience better battery backup as its now been optimized slightly.
- You can now enjoy the goodness of Adobe Flash 10.3 for rich flash content.
- Please note that this is the official update from the Google Servers and soon will be pushed to the devices very soon by Google as well as Samsung and we should not be held responsible for any manner if the update which you will receive later differentiates with the one which is mentioned in the procedure below.
Pre Upgrade Instructions:
- Before proceeding to update, you need to ensure that you have synced all your contacts with your Google Account, all sms, applications, videos and music files which are there in your phone should be taken a backup or else the data will be lost. Anything which is in SD card will not be lost, so you can alternatively move to SD Card. If you are planning to store in internal SD Card then it’s preferred to store the data in computer as a backup as in an unlikely event the data in SD Card may get corrupted.
- Create a backup of all the Internet APN settings along with the MMS settings so that you can again configure them all after the firmware update as sometimes these settings tend to get erased or wiped off completely after the update.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted,
- Additionally, ensure that your phone has at least more than 50% of battery power left, this is just an advisory which if followed then you will not experience any difficulties as while updation of the device the battery consumption is at a maximum,
- Last but not the least ensure that your phone is Samsung’s Nexus S I 9023 and not any other phone as if you proceed installing any other phone then there is a high possibility that you will brick your phone after which your phone will become un usable. Just in case if the upgradation gets interrupted in between then you will have to re follow the whole procedure again from the start so that the updation process of 2.3.4 completes successfully.
- If you have rooted your phone earlier then after the firmware update you will have to again root the device as the phone will be un rooted and the rooting access will be revoked.
Note : If you have got a super user access in the 2.3.3 update then you this access will be lost once you update with this 2.3.4 and also after the firmware update some of the users might lose their Internet APN Settings, so to access the Internet you will have to again configure the Internet Settings to access Internet and other data services.
Procedure to install the latest 2.3.4 update in Samsung I9023:
- First up you will have to download the Gingerbread 2.3.4 package for I9023 in your computer. Please note that as soon as you download this package you will have to place this without any modifications right on your desktop from the download folder. If at any point of time if you are asked to enter in the password then enter the password as androidadvices.com.
- After placing this file you will have to just simply copy the downloaded file to the root of your internal SD card, please note that you should not unzip or modify the downloaded file or place this file in the sub folders as if you do so then your phone will not be able to detect the update file.
- Now, with the USB cable just connect your phone with the computer / Laptop in which you have downloaded the 2.3.4 Gingerbread package and then move this firmware into the phone. After copying the file, just disconnect the USB connection and simply turn off the phone.
- Now, after this remove the sim card and external memory cards if any and then put the battery again in the phone as you will have to now power ON the device in the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode in your Nexus S I9023 can be turned ON by pressing the Volume Up key and then press the Power ON button simultaneously.
- If the phone turns on in the normal way then you will have to try getting into the recovery mode by following the above steps.
- So, now once you get into the recovery mode, you will see an option “apply update from /sdcard”.
- Just select the same and select the firmware file which you have placed in the phone and then simply press the “Power” button to select the same.
- As soon as you select the firmware zip file, the processing of the update starts and it will take approximate time of 7 – 9 minutes. As soon as processing of the files get’s finished you will see that again recovery mode will be shown in the Nexus S I9023. Now you will have to select the option of “reboot” to reboot the same. As you can see in the above screen shot that the version is 2.3.4 and the build number is GRJ 22 built which is the same which is updated in your device.
That’s it, you have now successfully upgraded the Google Nexus S GT I9023 with the latest Android 2.3.4 version. Do, leave a comment below if you come across any of the issues as we will try our level best to help you with the same. Soon we will also come out with a tutorial on how to root Samsung Nexus S I9023 2.3.4.