Last time we saw on how you can easily update the beta version of froyo on Samsung fascinate, so let’s check out on how you can update with the same. Please note that the froyo 2.2which we will be seeing in this article will be the full and final version which is released by Verizon. Please note that it’s highly recommended to take a backup of all your phone’s data including the phone book and sms details before proceeding for updating the device. Also all your applications will be wiped off, you need to take a backup of apps too. All the users who wish to upgrade the phone are requested to first go through the procedure once and then proceed to flash the firmware so that you will be well versed with the procedure. Please follow the instructions carefully and don’t try to jump the instructions as if not followed as per the instructions, your mobile will get bricked. Also, please ensure before proceeding to the update that your mobile phone is Samsung Fascinate model or not, if not then don’t update your device as updating this firmware will seriously lead to the bricking of the device.
Enhancements in Froyo update for Fascinate:
- Device now supports Flash 10.1 version which can be upgradeable to the latest Adobe Flash 10.2 version,
- Improved and enhanced browser performance which leads to faster loading of web pages which comes with Java script.
- Search with an all new and enhanced Voice search search option from Bing, which is of Microsoft.
- Move messages between the folders in the exchange email client easily without
- One stop options while you delete all the sent and trash folders which are present in your exchange email account without getting any prompt for closing the application.
- Make use of enhanced version of swype version which comes pre loaded in this froyo release for Samsung Fascinate.
- Enhanced dialer application will ease the dialing of numbers.
- Turning on the backlight when the phone is mounted in the car dock will no longer automatically activate the speakerphone
- Improved voice commands application which accurately defines and searches accurately.
- Additionally Samsung has also pre loaded a bunch of apps which are V cast and also Samsung Media hub , along with these two apps you can now also automatically update the applications in the Android Market place.
Pre Update instructions:
- Please note that before proceeding to update you need to ensure that you have created the backup for all the applications, messages, contacts, videos and audios etc, as after the firmware update you will be losing all the data which is stored in your phone, though the contents which are there in your memory card will stay intact.
- Also, make sure that the battery life of your phone is at least 50% and not less than that as anything which is less than that will affect the update process as while updating the phone, the battery tends to discharge a lot than consumed at the first time.
- Last, but not the least ensure that the phone which you will be updating is only the Samsung’s Verizon fascinate and not any other similar looking phones like Galaxy S or even any other phone like Captivate etc as this may brick your phone. The whole process of updation will take a time of from 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending upon many parameters.
- Next up remove the SIM card as well as the external SD cards if any in your phone, just to make sure that in an unlikely event the data in it doesn’t get corrupted.
- If you are currently on the factory set firmware of Android 2.1 Eclair version then you will get the over the air update which can be followed by the below procedure or else if you have recently updated with the beta release of Froyo 2.2 version which we have provided then you will have to go for the manual update procedure which too is mentioned below. So, make sure that you follow the below instructions carefully or else the update will not be applied successfully.
Procedure to update Samsung Verizon fascinate with froyo 2.2:
OTA (Over the Air) User Inititated Update Method:
- The updates which are available for the fascinate can be updated with in three different forms, one is the OTA user initiated method and another one is the OTA server initiated method followed by the manual update. So, let’s see in the below procedure one by one in the due course of this article.
- If you haven’t got the update notification automatically then you will have to check manually for the update as sometimes users tend to cancel the update notification by mistake, not to worry you will receive the froyo 2.2 update for your Verizon’s fascinate but for this you will have to follow the below instructions which is mentioned below,
- From the main menu tap on the Menu after which just proceed and select Settings > About Phone > System Updates > Check Now. After selecting the Check now option you will see an update notification as shown below,
- Now, after seeing the notification, just tap on “Ok” option to proceed with the downloading of the update on your Samsung Fascinate.
- So, as soon as the downloading of the firmware is finished, you will have to click on “Ok” to install the same.
That’s it there you go, you have now successfully updated your Verizon Fascinate with the latest and official Froyo 2.2 Android version.
OTA (Over the Air) Server Initiated Update Method:
- If you have got an update pop up which is initiated by the Server itself then it will look like the below shown screen shot. You just need to tap on the ok option from the below shown screen shot to proceed for the updation process.
- At any point of time if the system update fails to install and gets an error on the home screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery and power the device back on. The device will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update. Don’t panic as you also have another manual pushing of the update which is explained in the below procedure.
- Just in any case if you have unlocked your Samsung’s Verizon Captivate or you are using your Verizon’s captivate in any other location then still you can get the update but not via the two methods which are mentioned above but with the help of different procedure which is mentioned below, this is the manual and forced froyo updation method.
Manual Froyo 2.2 Updation Method for Captivate:
- First up you will have to download the Froyo update file for your Samsung Captivate after which you will have to place the same to the root of your Samsung Captivate phone. Please note that, you need to download the update file in your computer and then you will have to move the same to your phone, but before that you need to extract the folder named “Fascinate_Verizon_Official_Froyo2.2.1” to get the update.zip file. While extracting if it prompts for the password then you will have to enter the password as “androidadvices.com”.
- After ensuring that you have emptied the phone contents to the computer, proceed to place the update.zip while you have extracted from the zip folder.
- If you prefer to choose to put the memory card inside the phone itself after proper backing up of the data then move this update.zip file to your phone’s SD card and ensure that it’s not put in any of the folder or in the sub folder.
- After placing the file, just reboot the phone in and hold Vol. Up + Vol. Down and then simultaneously you will have to boot your device after which you will see the “S” first and then you will be in the recovery mode as shown in the below screen.
- After goig into the recovery mode, you will have to choose the “applu sdcard update.zip”, after selecting that you need to select the file which is named as update.zip which you have placed in the phone so that the updation process get initiated and then the phone will be updated with the latest froyo release of 2.2.1.
So, that’s it you have now successfully updated your phone with the latest firmware of Froyo 2.2.1 version on your Samsung Captivate powered by Verizon. Do, let us know if you come across any problems or issues as we will ensure that all issues are solved at the earliest.