It’s very important to follow the list of pre upgrade instructions before proceeding to the instructions / the procedure to update your phone or else there is a high probability that you may even brick the phone
- First up you need to ensure that you have created the backup of all the data which is present in your phone so that just in case if the data is wiped off or corrupted then you can easily restore the same. For your convenience, we have mentioned some of the tips below so that you can then create the backup of the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- After creating the backup of the data, you will now need to proceed to charge the phone to a minimum of 50% above so as to make sure that the phone is not turned Off in the process of the firmware update.
- Ensure that the USB Debugging in your phone is enabled. The USB Debugging in the phone can be enabled from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”. After which you need to ensure that the USB Debugging ahs the tick in front of it. You can also refer to the below screen capture to know more on the USB Debugging option.
So, now let’s proceed to the instructions to update the HTC Thunderbolt with the latest Gingerbread 2.3 version.
Procedure to update HTC Thunderbolt with Gingerbread 2.3:
- First up you need to download the Gingerbread 2.3 Update Zip Package from here to your computer. Please note that once you download the same, you will now have to proceed to rename the same to “PG05IMG.zip”. Please note that it shouldn’t be renamed to the “PG05IMG.zip.zip” or else the file won’t be recognized as generally Windows based computers hides the extension.
- Now, once its renamed, you need to connect the htc thunderbolt using the USB cable with the computer which you have got at the time of purchase of your phone and copy this renamed zip file in your phone.
- As soon as you transfer the file you will now need to remove the USB cable which is connected to the computer and then need to turn off the phone so that you can then enter into the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be entered by pressing the Volume Down button + Power Button till you see the recovery mode screen on your phone. As soon as you enter into the recovery mode the phone will automatically detect the update and the update will be started to flash, note that you need not interrupt this process.
Just in a rare case if the update is not detected automatically then you will have to manually select the zip file from the option of update.zip.
So, once you are done with the update, the phone will be rebooted and there you go you have now successfully updated the phone with the latest version of Android which is the Gingerbread 2.3 version. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues while updating the phone as we will ensure that all your issues are solved at the earliest.