HTC My touch 4G Slide – Steps to Install Android 4.0 ICS Firmware
My touch 4G Slide users here comes a happy news for all you guys as in the due course of the article we will check out on how you can update your device with the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware. At a time when almost every single device is awaiting the ICS or may get a taste of optimized ICS Android 4.0 version, this my touch 4G too adds the list now. Please note that this is not an Official version of firmware released by htc and also as per the company there are no chances of releasing ICS for htc my touch 4G Slide.
In the due course of the article we will also check out on what are the things which work in this build of firmware and also we will check out on what are the things which doesn’t work with this built.
Things which don’t work:
- USB Storage,
- FM Radio,
- Keyboard Back light,
- LED Notification,
Things which work:
- Voice Calls,
- Bluetooth Stereo,
- Mobile Data,
- Wi Fi,
- SD Card,
- Android market Place,
- Keyboard Works
Please note that this is basically a half-baked firmware which is still in the making and is an AOSP build. The best part is that despite its not made by Cyanogen Mod team but it comes with all the features of Cyanogen Mod.
Screen Captures of ICS ROM:
- Rooted and S – Off MY Touch 4G Slide,
- Fully Charged (at least 80% plus) so as to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update,
- Uninstall all the Antivirus tools in your phone as it may interrupt the process of firmware update,
- Backup all the data present in the phone memory of my touch 4g Slide as there is a possibility that the data may get corrupted or lost. With the help of below mentioned tips you can easily backup or restore the data.
Text messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Phone Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Notes – Manually you need to note down or need to transfer to Evernote.
- If you have already updated the my touch 4G device with any of the custom ROM then you need to enter into the recovery mode first and need to select “Wipe data/factory reset”, “Wipe Cache partition” and after this you need to also select “reboot system” so as to restart the phone. Additionally, you also need to clear the Dalvik cache from the recovery mode from the “advanced” option.
So assuming that you have followed all the above mentioned instructions you now need to proceed to the next page.
Procedure to Update ICS Android 4.0 Firmware in My touch 4G Slide:
- Download ICS Android 4.0 Package in your computer and connect your device to the computer using the USB cable. Copy the downloaded file to the phone and ensure that you are not placing the file deep into the phone.
- After this you need to disconnect the phone connected from the computer and enable the USB Debugging Mode from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” as shown in the below screen capture.
- Now, turn Off the phone so as to enter the device in the recovery mode by first entering the device into the boot loader mode. The Boot loader mode in Droid Incredible can be entered by pressing Volume UP Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. Please note that just in case if the device boots up in the normal mode, you need to again try entering into the boot loader mode.
- Once you enter the device into the boot loader mode, you need to select the option “Recovery” to enter the device in the recovery mode. Now, in the recovery mode, you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the ICS Android 4.0 Zip file which you have placed in your phone followed by which you need to select the add on zip files if any.
- After this, you need to reboot the phone which you can do by selecting the appropriate option.
Note: The device may take longer than expected time to boot the device and to show up the home screen as it’s the first reboot after the firmware update.
- Don’t forget to restore the backup which you have made if any in the pre Requisites step including the apn settings as these will be responsible for data / internet access.
Congratulations, you are now on the Official version of firmware which is dubbed as Android 4.0. Do let us know just in case if you face any issues in the comments section as we will try our level best to sort out the same.