Sony Ericsson is one of the companies to introduce Android phones in the Market while Android OS was into development stages with versions 1.6 – 2.0, well the 2010 generation of Xperia Android smart phones covered all the segments like low – end, mid – end and high – end. Sony Ericsson Xperia Android smart phones from 2011 generation are enriched with Android OS 2.3 Gingerbread with features which will stun the users. One such phone is Xperia Active, an active phone for active users.
Xperia Active is one such phone which offers you plenty of things which will allow you to use the touch screen even when your finger is wet, yes the phone supports wet finger tracking. Well what more does it has to offer? If you are so curious then I just have one word and that is ‘Excellency’. Active is incorporated with water resistant, dust proof, scratch resistant multi touch screen, ANT+, Bravia engine, 5 MP camera supporting HD video capabilities with video light, 1 GHz Snapdragon processor and more. All of these will definitely become a reason to drain your battery and reduce the battery life if not operated with care and tactics.
The battery present on this phone is standard Lithium ion 1200 mAh battery which will help you to work with most of the essential features. The phone is very well designed and will attract most of the health enthusiasts, hikers and trekkers. If you want to make optimal usage of the phone then you may just manage to keep the battery alive for a day, but in order to use phone with optimal conditions make sure that a particular function is used only when it is necessary and is turned OFF accordingly.
The features that will use up most of the battery are accelerometer, Wi – Fi b/g/n, Wi – Fi Hotspot, aGPS, Camera flash light, Bluetooth 2.1, LED back lit LCD Display brightness, SYNC function, Facebook inside Xperia and Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. The following steps will help you in using each feature appropriately.
- Accelerometer is normally used to turn the screen orientation as we change the phone orientation, well this feature can be turned OFF in Settings/Display/Auto rotate option. This option can be used only during trekking so that we get a wide view on the map.
- Wi – Fi b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1 are normally the most responsible factors for draining the battery as it is normally left turned ON after its usage. Wi – Fi is not always available in all places, so it will be a wise decision to turn it OFF in that case. Using Wi – Fi Hot spot requires a lot of power and so it is advised that the facility must be used in the worst conditions when you have no any other options left.
- GPS feature must be turned OFF most of the times and must be brought into use only when required like when you are out for a trek, but make sure the feature is turned ON only when you need accurate location. If you are in a city and you are receiving a network provider signal on the phone then you can rather use the inaccurate network provided location which is normally accurate up to 1000 meters.
- Camera flash light can be used only when in darker places and its usage must be avoided in adequate lighting conditions. But if you are on an occasion then make sure you follow other steps.
- LED backlit LCD brightness must be set to minimum to medium settings. Usually the brightness is automatically adjusted according to the outside light incident on the screen. This can be accomplished by using Power widget. The display time out must be set as low as possible; you can choose the same from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.
- Auto SYNC function can be turned OFF when you are not on a data network or when you are connected to the internet using a computer.
Android OS itself require lot of resources but then we can manage certain features such that we are able to use it and enjoy it even more. Android applications that run in the background can be controlled by using certain applications like Advanced task killer which will help you manage running applications on your Xperia Active. Certain features like Haptic feedback, vibrating alert and Live wallpapers must be turned OFF or must not be used extensively. This guide will definitely help you conserve most of the battery life for more important events.