The LG Optimus G finally has its own unlock and rooting solution. If you were waiting for it through these days, it’s now available and what could make it easier than the All in One Tool. The Optimus G on Sprint has a locked bootloader on it which needs to be unlocked initially to proceed with the rooting process. Once the bootloader is unlocked, the rooting process is initiated using the tool.
Going about the rooting and unlocking process is pretty simple, however a couple of pre-requisites are needed before we begin the process on the LG Optimus G LS970.
Disclaimer: If all the instructions are followed which are mentioned in this article, there is no possibility of bricking the phone. However, if at all any untoward incident happens, we would not be responsible in any manner for the damage that would occur to your LG Optimus G LS970 due to improper operating process.
- Apply these all instruction listed in this tutorial only for LG Optimus G model number LS970, do not use this guide with any other android device.
- Make a full backup for your critical data stored on your device by moving them directly to your memory card or your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by going to Settings -> Device Information -> Enable USB Debugging Mode.
- Make sure the phone has at least over 70% of battery charge before initiating the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
In this process, you will be unlocking the bootloader, rooting the phone and installing custom recovery on your Optimus G smartphone.
- Before we begin with the process, you need to download the All In One Tool and have it saved on your PC. Download Link
- Now, connect the LG Optimus G to your computer using the original microUSB mode. When connected, there would be a prompt asking for which mode to choose. Make sure it is in the Charge-Only mode. Also make sure USB Debugging is enabled as instructed above.
- Now, navigate to the folder where the GAIO tool was downloaded to open the application. If you are on Windows, you need to select the “Install LG Drivers” option when prompted before proceeding to the next step. However, this step is not required on a Linux based Operating System.
- Select ‘Root LG Optimus G’. When this option is selected, the phone is directly rooted once the process stops.
- Now, select ‘Unlock Bootloader’ which would unlock the bootloader of the Optimus G.
- Now, we have rooted and unlocked the bootloader of the smartphone. However, to install Custom ROMs, a custom recovery is needed. This can be installed by choosing ‘Install Custom Recovery’ from the list of options. Now, the application overrides the default recovery menu with the custom recovery menu which would allow you to install Custom ROMs from now.
- The rooting, unlocking of the bootloader and the Custom recovery installation process is now complete.
To access the Recovery menu, press the “Volume Down” twice before powering the phone on. From here, you can install custom ROMs by selecting the zip file which have been placed in the SD Card. The rooting, unlocking and the custom recovery process is now complete on the LG Optimus G.