Samsung GRAND DUOS Android smartphone can now be rooted with the latest version of KitKat 4.4 firmware. The best part of this is that it comes with all the features as that of the ones which are only available to Nexus devices. Also, the default apps in this build too are less which converges to less bloat ware. Unfortunately, there is no ETA on by when there will be an official firmware of kitkat for Galaxy GRAND DUOS, but all thanks to the custom ROM makers who have come out with the same. Let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites which you need to follow before we proceed on to check on what is the procedure with which you can apply the update.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy GRAND Duos I9082 Android smartphone should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps manually and not with the help of KIES.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Samsung Galaxy GRAND DUOS I9082 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Once the USB Debugging mode is enabled, you can then install the custom ROM firmwares.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your Galaxy GRAND DUOS I9082 due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article.
- Download the ROM Manager app from Google PLAY Store and install the custom recovery image in your device.
- For installing this custom ROM, you need to make sure that your device is rooted. You can check on whether the device is rooted or not with the help of “Root Checker” app.
Once you are done with the above mentioned steps, let’s head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide to update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy GRAND DUOS I9082 with KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware:
- Download Kitkat 4.4.2 Firmware Package and Google Apps package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with original USB cable and place the two zip files in your device.
- Up next, you need to disconnect the device to computer and open the ROM Manager app from Google PLAY Store to enter the device in Recovery Mode.
- Recovery Mode in Galaxy GRAND DUOS can also be entered by pressing Volume Up + Home Key and holding these both buttons you now need to press the Power button. If the device boots in the normal mode, you now need to retry the process.
- In recovery mode, select options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone by selecting the options like “Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache”.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device and then followed by the Google Apps Package. It will take around 4 -5 minutes to apply both the zip files in your device.
- Once done, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot in normal mode” for rebooting the device normally. Please note that it may sometime take more than 4 -5 minutes for rebooting the device in the normal mode. Once the firmware is updated successfully, it will load all required services in the device.
- To check on whether the firmware is update or not, you need to head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware will be mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.2 firmware.
Note: If at all your Galaxy GRAND DUOS gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
So there you go, you have now successfully learnt on how to update with the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.2 Android firmware. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.