Cyanogen Mod 10.1 RC5 is out for Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone and for all those who are waiting to install this, the wait is finally over. Though this is the Release Candidate version, the stable version will soon be out. So, before proceeding let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites followed by the list of quick pre requisite instructions. Unfortunately, there won’t be any official firmware updates for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone of Jellybean 4.2.2 firmware. Please note that this is not the Official firmware released by Samsung but is a Custom ROM firmware released by Team Cyanogen.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy S GT I9000 should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps,
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Also, the minimum battery life should be a minimum of 40% or else there is a risk of device getting turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- As this is a custom ROM, you need to make sure that your phone is rooted and installed with the custom recovery image. Just in case if your phone is not rooted, you need to root the same from the below mentioned steps;
- Custom Recovery image can be installed from the “ROM Manager” app which you can download from PLAY Store.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the list of detailed instructions on how to apply this firmware update in your Galaxy S.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with Cyanogen Mod 10.1 RC 5 Firmware:
- Download CM 10.1 RC 5 Jellybean 4.2 Package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the two zip files in your device.
- Disconnect the device to enter the device in the Recovery Mode. Recovery mode in Galaxy S GT I9000 can be entered by pressing the Volume Up Key + Menu Button and then press the Power button. Just in case if the device gets turned ON in the normal mode, then you will have to retry the process of entering the device in the Recovery Mode.
- Alternatively, recovery mode can also be entered with the help of ROM Manager App. Just in case if you get any error, you will need to flash the recovery image with the help of ROM Manager.
- In recovery Mode, clear the cache and wipe the data by selecting the appropriate options and then select “Install Zip from SD Card’ and select the Cyanogen Mod 10.1 RC 5 Firmware Package then the Google Apps Package which you have placed in your device to apply the update.
- It will take around 3 -4 minutes for applying the firmware. Once the firmware is updated successfully, you will need to select the option of “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re insert the battery and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update in the comments section as we will try our level best to sort out the same.