Manual Update Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean 4.2.1 Firmware – Guide
Galaxy Nexus users have been always fortunate when it came to receiving periodic firmwares for its range of devices and adding to the same in this article we will be checking out on how you can manual update your Galaxy Nexus I9250 smartphone with the latest Jellybean 4.2.1 firmware update. Though the official firmware update of Jellybean 4.2.1 firmware update comes with a host of benefits, the custom ROM firmware for this device which is based on the AOSP 4.2.1 JOP40D KALO for Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ variant is no less than ideal as this is rock stable one.
So, before we get started you will have to make sure that your phone is rooted and with the help of below mentioned steps you can root your Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
To check on whether your phone is rooted or not, download “Root Checker” app from the PLAY Store and check on whether the device is rooted or not.
So once you have rooted the device, you can now head over to the next step where we have summed up a detailed guide on how to apply this update after express pre requisites.
This method can also be used by all those who didn’t receive / able to update the device with the latest 4.2.1 jellybean firmware.
Express Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your Galaxy nexus I9250 smartphone should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored manually with the help of below steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked. Also, make sure that the minimum charge left in your device is minimum of 40% so as to make sure that your Galaxy Nexus doesn’t give up in the middle of rooting process.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update in your Galaxy Nexus 9250 variant.
Guide to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Jellybean 4.2.1 Firmware:
- Download the OSP_JOP40D_KALO_v3.0.zip package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the zip file in your device.
- Disconnect the device and then turn off your Galaxy Nexus so that it can be booted in the recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered with the help of ROM Manager app or with the help of below mentioned manual step.
- Press Volume Up + Volume Down rocker keys at the same time and press the Power button to enter the device in the recovery mode. You need to select the appropriate option for entering into the same.
- In recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition” so that all the cache data will be cleared.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” and then choose the Jellybean 4.2.1 zip package which you have placed in your device and press the Power button to confirm the same.
- Now once the update is applied successfully, select “go back” and “reboot system now” for rebooting the device in the normal mode. Please note that it may take longer time than expected for booting the device in the normal mode being the first time.
Tip: If your Galaxy Nexus doesn’t power up or say it gets into the boot loop mode, you need to re insert the battery and then re try the process of firmware update by following the above steps.
From the path “Settings > About Phone” you can have a check on whether the firmware is updated successfully or not. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.