Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 users can now taste their device with the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS which comes with the added benefits and bug fixes. While there is no official release of Kitkat for the device from the company, you can make use of this custom ROM firmware dubbed as Omni ROM which comes with the trust of thousands of users. So after checking out the list of detailed list of quick pre requisites mentioned below, we will head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed guide on how to update the device.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Backup all the data in your Samsung Galaxy S2 with the help of below mentioned manual steps and not with the help of KIES since this update is still not yet pushed out globally.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- In your Galaxy S2, enable USB Debugging from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Also, the minimum battery life should be a minimum of 50% to make sure that your Note 2 doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Since this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to make sure that you have rooted your Galaxy S2 Android smartphone. You can check on whether your phone is rooted or not with the help of Root Checker app. Just in case if the device is not rooted, you can root the same with the help of below 2 links;
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused to the device. Also, make sure that this firmware is not applied to the Network Locked Devices.
Let’s proceed to next step where we have detailed the instructions which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 with Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS:
- Download KitKat 4.4.2 Android Firmware package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the two zip files in your device.
- Press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up buttons to enter the device in the Recovery Mode. If your Galaxy S2 I9100 enters in the Normal mode, then you need to re try the process of entering the device in the Recovery Mode. You can also enter the device in the recovery mode with the help of ROM Manager app.
- In recovery mode, you need to clear and wipe the data present in your phone by selecting the options like “Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache” options.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device. It will take around 4 -5 minutes to apply both the zip files in your device.
- Once done, select “go back” and choose the option of “reboot in normal mode” for rebooting the device normally. Please note that it may sometime take more than 4 -5 minutes for rebooting the device in the normal mode.
- To check on whether the firmware is update or not, you need to head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where the current firmware will be mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.2 firmware.
Note: If at all your Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. You have now successfully updated the latest version of Jellybean 4.3 Android firmware in your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 Android smartphone.