Now when we saw the First Look of Android Lollipop 5.0.2 in Moto E, it’s now time to check out manually on how you can apply this update manually in your device. The reason on why this update is not yet pushed to the users as Motorola is doing soak test of this update and Motorola finishes with the same in a smaller group, the same will be passed on to the larger group of users via OTA. While for those users who hate to wait for this update can go ahead and apply this update manually. So let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites which you need to follow before we slip into the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Note: Applying this update won’t void the warranty or root the device in any manner as this is the official firmware update by Motorola which is being soak tested.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a manual backup of all the data with the help of below mentioned steps and not with any automated desktop tools as it may or may not help you restore the data. We recommend you t create the backup with below steps.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- After creating the backup, move all the backup files to your desktop.
- Navigate to “Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging” to enable the same in your Moto E. Just in case if you can’t see the Developer Options, head over to the “About Phone” to tap on the “Build Number” multiple times till the Developer mode doesn’t get enabled
- Battery left in your Moto E should be a minimum of 60%.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have detailed the instructions for applying this update.
Procedure to Manual Update Moto E with Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS:
- Download Android Lollipop 5.0.2 Android Update Package (342MB) from here to your computer. Once done, you now need to connect your phone to the computer with original USB cable.
- All the apps in your device should be updated via Google Play Store.
- Make sure that the file name is “Blur_Version.21.12.40.condor_retaildsds.retaildsdsall.en.03.zip“ and is placed in the root directory itself rather than placing in some folder preferably in the external SD card.
- Now, disconnect the device from computer and navigate to “Settings” to tap on the “Check for Update” to get the update notification. Once done, you just need to follow the onscreen instructions for applying the update.
- Note: In a rare case if you get the notification that your device is on the latest version, just boot your device in the stock recovery and then select wipe cache partition for clearing the cache partition. (Recovery mode in moto E can be entered by pressing the Volume Up + Volume Down and then holding these both keys, turn ON the device).
So there you go, you have now successfully updated the device with the latest version of Lollipop 5.0.2 Android OS. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.