Irrespective of the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 or Nexus 10, you can now side load the current version of Kitkat 4.4.4 android OS manually. While we recently checked on how you can apply this update manually in selected devices, you can very well apply this update manually with the help of boot loader option. While this update is available for selected devices via OTA, this update can also be applied manually with the help of instructions which we will be checking out in the due course of this article.
Note: The best part of this update is, despite applying this update manually the warranty will stay intact and also all the device won’t be rooted after applying with this update in your device.
Quick Pre Requisites
- All the data in your Nexus 4/ Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 can be backed up manually with the help of below steps. Though, it’s not a mandatory step to back up the data manually in this case, but its advised to take the backup manually.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Battery life in your device should be a minimum of 40% so as to make sure that your device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update process. Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your Nexus 5 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have summed up the detailed guide which will help you apply this latest update in your device.
Procedure to update Kitkat 4.4.4 OTA update in Android device:
- Download all the required OTA files which are mentioned below in your computer;
- Up next, you need to download the required Fastboot files for corresponding OS platforms. After downloading, you need to place the same in the “update” folder in your computer in the ADB folder or the platform-tools folder.
- Turn off your device so that it can be entered in the boot loader mode. To enter Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 in the boot loader mode, press Volume Up + Volume Down and press the Power button. To enter Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 in the boot loader mode, you need to press Volume Down + Power button.
- With the help of Volume rocker keys, you need to select the same to reboot the device into the boot loader mode which has a green robot along with the exclamation logo. With the help of volume rocker keys, you need to select “apply update from ADB” option and connect the device to the computer with the help of original USB cable.
- In the command prompt, you need to enter the below mentioned command;
- Now, enter the below mentioned command, which will transfer the Android 4.4.4 OTA update ZIP to your Nexus deice and initiate the transfer process.
Adb sideload “update.zip”
- As soon as the file is transferred completely, the update process will be initiated. Once the update is applied successfully, the device will be re booting automatically. Please note that the whole process of firmware update might take more time than usual time.
Note: If your device gets stuck, you need to long press the power button to turn Off the device and follow all the above instructions after restarting the device.
Alternatively, you can check on whether the device has been updated or not from the path “Settings > About phone” where the firmware version will be mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.4.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. In coming days, we will also be coming up with the detailed guide which will help you root Nexus device on this Kitkat 4.4.4 update.