After the debacle of Kitkat 4.4.3 update by Google, here comes an all new update for Nexus devices which ropes in the new version dubbed as Kitkat 4.4.4 which promises to fix the security issues at least. While the functional issues are still not taken up by Google in this release, it seems like Google needs little more time than it took to release this new update. So before we proceed on to check on what are the detailed list of instructions which will help you update, you will have to make sure that you follow the list of quick pre requisites which are summed up below. This update is dubbed as KTU84P which ropes in the latest Kitkat 4.4.4 version.
While this update is gradually being pushed to all the devices of Nexus 5, you can manually update with this firmware.
Note: Applying this update won’t void the warranty in any manner and also applying this update won’t root the device in any manner as this is the official update released by Google.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Create a backup of all the data in your Google Nexus 5 Android device so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored easily.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, ensure that USB Debugging is enabled in your Nexus 5 smartphone. Also make sure that your Nexus 5 is left with a minimum of 50% battery life.
- Make sure that ADB is installed in your computer.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
Once you are done with the above mentioned instructions, let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device with the latest version of this firmware.
Procedure to Manual Update Nexus 5 with KTU84P Kitkat 4.4.4 firmware update:
- Download the Android 4.4.4 Firmware Zip Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, you now need to then place the same in the platform-tools folder.
- First up you need to turn Off your Nexus 5 Android smartphone so that the device can be entered in the fastboot mode.
- Press and hold Volume Down and Power until you see the Fastboot screen. After this, you need to use the Volume buttons to highlight the “Recovery Mode” and press the power to confirm the same.
- With the help of Volume buttons, you need to select “Apple update from ADB” to press the Power button.
- In your computer, hold Shift and right click in a blank area of the ADB Tools window (in Windows Explorer). Select ”Open command window here”. This will open the command prompt window.
- Connect your Nexus 5 device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and enter the below mentioned command prompt to check on whether the device got successfully connected or not.
- In the command prompt, you need to then enter the below mentioned command;
adb sideload Android-444-OTA.zip
Note: If your device gets stuck, you need to long press the power button to turn Off the device and follow all the above instructions after restarting the device.
Alternatively, you canc heck on whether the device has been updated or not from the path “Settings > About phone” where the firmware version will be mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.4.
Once the command is executed, the device will be rebooting. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update. In coming days, we will also be coming up with the detailed guide which will help you root Nexus 5 on this Kitkat 4.4.4 update.