Manual Update Nexus 7 (2012) with Official Jellybean 4.3 Android Firmware – Guide
ASUS Nexus 7 2012 edition can now be updated with the latest version of Jellybean 4.3 Android OS which comes with the default Nexus 7 2013 version as well. Though this update will be pushed by Google very soon, you can still apply this firmware update manually. This guide will help all the users who are on the custom ROM firmwares as users on custom ROM firmware won’t get the Official update released by Google. So, after following the list of quick pre requisites, you can proceed to the instructions mentioned in the next page which will help you update the device.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Data in your ASUS Nexus 7 should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps so as to make sure that just in case if the data gets lost or corrupted, the same can be restored with the help of below mentioned steps,
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Also, the minimum battery life should be a minimum of 40% or else there is a risk of device getting turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
So assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned steps, it’s time for you to proceed to the next page where we have detailed the list of instructions.
Procedure to Update ASUS Nexus 7 2012 Edition with Official Jellybean 4.3 Android OS:
- Since Google has mentioned that it has released the OTA update for the device, you need to head over to the Settings option and then check whether you have received the OTA or not.
- Just in case if you haven’t got the OTA update or if you have installed the custom ROM firmware, then you will have to update the device manually.
- Download the Jellybean 4.3 Android package (WiFi Only, WiFi + 3G Variant) and extract the same so as to place the same in the “Android” folder.
- Instead of using the bundled script called flash-all, you will unpack the tgz (tar/gz) archive, and then the zip contained within as well. This will put all the components into one folder
- Now, assuming that you have install the ADB in your computer, you will have to connect your Nexus 7 device to the computer with the help of original USB cable.
- Open the command prompt in your computer and then enter the below mentioned commands so as to enter the device in the fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot format cache
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re long press the power button and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
You can check the current firmware version from the path “Settings > About Device” where you will get to know the current firmware version which will be Jellybean 4.3.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update in the comments section as we will try our level best to sort out the same.