Without Rooting, Nexus device can be updated with the Official version of Lollipop Android 5.0 firmware. While Google is following the approach of wave type of firmware push to all the users, you can manually apply this official update in your device. Please note that this manual update method won’t root the device in any manner and also this is one of the easiest methods of the lot as it doesn’t need you to have a rooted device or the custom recovery to be installed. So after checking out the detailed list of quick pre requisites, let’s check out on what is the procedure with which you can install the firmware update.
- Backup all the data in your Nexus device manually with the help of below mentioned steps and not with any other automated tools.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Lollipop 5.0 Firmware Zip Files:
- Nexus 4 – [LRX21T] – Download Link
- Nexus 5 – [LRX2 from KTU84P, 479MB] – Download Link
- Nexus 7 WIFI – [LRX21P] – Download Link
- Nexus 10 – [LRX21P from KTU84P, 325MB] – Download Link
Procedure to Update Nexus 4/5/7/10 with Official Lollipop 5.0:
- Download and install the Android SDK in your computer from the corresponding link. Once ADB is successfully installed in your computer, connect your device to the computer and type in the below mentioned command in your computer from Platform-tools folder. Hold SHIFT and the right-click and choose “Open command prompt…” in your computer.
- After entering the above mentioned command, you will get some serial number followed by the device as mentioned below which will signify successful installation of ADB;
- Download the Lollipop 5.0 Android firmware file (mentioned above) officially from Google and move the zip file to the “Platform-Tools” folder and type in the below mentioned command;
Adb reboot bootloader
- Now, your Nexus device will boot in the bootloader mode and press the Volume down button in your device till you see the “Recovery” option. Press Power button to select the recovery option and device will boot with the exclamation mark with an android logo. Now, you will be in the stock recovery mode. With the Volume down button, select “apply update from ADB” and press the power button to select the same.
adb sideload <filename of update.zip>
Note: The firmware zip file which was downloaded earlier can be named as example KDQ39.zip so that the above command becomes “adb sideload KDQ39.zip”.
Now, the required file will transfer and the firmware update will be applied successfully. Please note that it may take more than 4 -5 minutes for applying the zip file.
Note: Just in case if your device gets in the boot loop mode or for gets stuck, all you need to do is to just repeat the above process by rebooting the device.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.