SONY Xperia S Android smartphone can now be updated with the latest version of Jellybean 4.2.2 Android OS. Though, there is no ETA on by when there will be an official version of Jellybean 4.3 be officially pushed, you can till then apply with this firmware update which is a custom ROM firmware from Paranoid and ropes in the goodness of some of the best features. So, before we proceed on to check on what are the detailed instructions which will help you upgrade the device, follow the list of quick pre requisites.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your SONY Xperia S should be backed up with the help of below mentioned manual steps so as to make sure that just in case. Make sure that you are not creating the backup with the help of SONY PC Companion.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your SONY XPERIA S.
- Minimum battery life should be a minimum of 40% or else there is a risk of device getting turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Since this one is the custom ROM firmware, you will need to make sure that you have rooted the device. To check on whether the device is rooted or not, you will have to check the same with the help of “Root Checker” app.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused to the device which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions carefully mentioned in this article.
Assuming that you have already followed all the above mentioned instructions, you can now proceed on to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you upgrade the device.
Steps to Update XPERIA S with Jellybean 4.2.2 Firmware:
- Download Jellybean 4.2.2 Firmware Package and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, place these two files in your device. Make sure that you are not placing the files deep into the device.
- Connect the phone again on the computer while it is turned off and while pressing Volume Up and the Power keys to boot into fastboot mode.
- Open the command prompt in your computer and enter the below mentioned command;
Flash boot boot.img
- Now, turn ON the smartphone and boot the same into the recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up Key.
- In recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select “backup and restore > backup.” The current ROM will be saved on the SD card which you can restore anytime.
- Up next you will need to perform a full wipe and select the option of “install zip from sd card” to select the option of “choose zip from sd card” to choose the Parandroid Custom ROM firmware and then the Google Apps Package. Please note that it will take around 5 -6 minutes for applying the update and once the update is applied successfully, the device will be rebooted.
- Once the device is updated with successfully, disconnect the device from computer and check on whether your phone is updated with the latest firmware or not which can be done from the Settings option.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just long press the power button and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.