After Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2 N7100 Android smartphones, it’s the time for Xperia Z users to rejoice as Official Kitkat 4.4.2 update finally arrives for the device. This update is dubbed as 10.5.A.0.227 and comes with lot of bug fixes along with the new features which otherwise were not there So let’s check out on what are the quick pre requisites you need to follow before we slip on to the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your SONY XPERIA Z needs to be updated with the help of below mentioned steps. Make sure that you are not backing up the data with the help of SONY PC Suite as it won’t be able to restore the backed up data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Make sure that your SONY Xperia Z is left with the minimum of 50% battery or else the device might just get turned Off in the middle of firmware update.
- Also, make sure that the MTP Mode is Disabled which can be done from the path “Settings > Xperia > Connectivity > USB Connection Mode” to select the MSC Mode and not the MTP Mode.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused to the device which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions carefully mentioned in this article.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Update SONY Xperia Z with Official Kitkat 4.4.2 10.5.A.0.227 Firmware Update:
- Download the Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS firmware package (Alternate Link) from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer and place the downloaded zip file in your device.
- Now, disconnect the device and reboot the device in the recovery mode. Turn Off the device and wait for the device to completely turn off which happens in around 10 seconds. Restart the phone until LED light turns Pink and then press the Volume Up key repeatedly till the device enters in the recovery mode.
- You now need to select the options like Wipe data / factory reset and then select the Wipe cache partition to confirm the process.
- Up next, choose to install zip then select choose zip from sd card and browse to the path where you have placed the Kitkat 4.4.2 firmware zip package. Select the zip file and confirm the installation. This process is likely to take around a minute or two.
- Once the firmware is applied successfully, you will see that the device will be rebooted which can be done by selecting the options as reboot system now from the recovery menu.
- Once the device is booted, you may see that the NFC firmware drivers will be updated in the device. To check on whether your phone has been updated with this firmware or not, head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” where you will get to see the current firmware version as 4.4.2 10.5.A.0.277.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just long press the Power button and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues. Congratulations, you have now successfully updated the device with the latest firmware version of Kitkat 4.4.2. We will very soon come up with the rooting process along with the custom ROM firmware options for Xperia Z.