Ice Cream Sandwich for Motorola Droid 3 gets surfaced in the form of Cyanogen MOD 9. Though this is the unofficial build which we came across, the official release is expected to come not before first half of 2012.Motorola still didn’t release any of the details regarding the official ICS release but is expected to push the ICS release only in 2012. To install this, you will be requiring to root the device first which we saw in the last article. Just in case if you missed it then you can root the phone by following the below mentioned link.
Disclaimer: Please note that we should not be held responsible in any manner in whole or in parts if any damage is done to your device caused by updating the firmware which is a very unlikely event if you follow the instructions as mentioned in the article including the pre requisites and the procedure to update the phone.
In the process of firmware update, there is a possibility of data getting lost or corrupted, so you need to back up the same. You can backup or restore the data by using the tips which are mentioned below.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Also, let’s check out on what are the things which work in this version of ICS Droid 3 along with the screen captures.
Things which work:
- 3G Data (phone is connected to the network, but no audio)
- SD Card
- HW Accelerated Graphics (RenderScript apps will have issues — like Web Browser)
- Adb Drivers
Things which doesn’t work:
- Some Codec
- Anything requiring the ION driver device
- Network usage stats (for mobile data)
Screen Captures of ICE CREAM Sandwich on Motorola Droid 3:
Procedure to Update Motorola Droid 3 with ICS Android 4.0:
- Download the ICS build for Droid 3 Zip package in your computer and then connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable which you got at the time of purchase. Ensure that you are not modifying or renaming the file in any manner or else the file won’t be recognized in the phone.
- Copy the downloaded Zip file to your phone and then remove the connected USB cable. Now, enable the USB Debugging in your phone from the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Assuming that you have rooted the device, you need to now turn Off the phone so that you can then enter into the recovery mode. To enter into the recovery mode, press the volume Down Key and simultaneously you need to press the Power button so as to enter in the boot loader Mode. In the boot loader mode, you then need to tap on the “Recovery” option as shown in the below screen capture.
- In the recovery mode, press the Volume down Key and then you will have to choose the option of “Clear Storage” which will clear off all the cache data which is there in the phone. Once you are done with it, select “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” to choose the ICS Android 4.0 Zip file which you have placed in your phone.
- Once you select the file, it will take up to 10 minutes to finish the process of firmware update. As soon as the update is finished successfully, the device will either boot automatically or will be landing up again in the recovery mode. If it again lands up in the recovery mode, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and choose “reboot system now”. In an unfortunate event if the process is interrupted then you will have to repeat the whole procedure from the start so as to again successfully update the phone.
So, there you go, you have now successfully updated your phone to the latest version of Quick Sense Custom ROM. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if there are any issues related to the updation of the device.
Credits : Hashcode