Finally we see more Motorola device receiving Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update after much long delay. After Atrix HD, it turned out to be Droid Bionic which gets the official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update. The update file size is 368 MB and users can install this update via Over the Air update.
This update will be available to the users from October 19, 2012 and it brings a host of new features breathing a new life to your Droid Bionic device. The update was originally slated for released last quarter but Motorola for unspecified reasons delayed it. After installing the update users will find a host of new features been added. We at Android Advices recommends users to install this updates as soon as possible.
Improvements & Enhancements
The following is the list of the improvements & enhancements included in this update –
- Home screen gets the customized launch bar which allows easy drag and drop the apps, shortcuts and folders
- Lock screen includes the action to direct access to camera, text, messages
- Monitor your data usage at all in one place. Allows to set warning levels and check individual app data usage
- Enhanced notification windows includes access to settings directly
- Mobile IM has been removed
- It includes SmartActions on your smart phone by which you can schedule things smartly on your phone
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics is been added
- Improved stability and performance issues
- Improves sync with Google Calendar
- Mobile hotspot has been improved with data connectivity
- Improved Wi Fi internet connectivity
- Optimized battery performance for better battery life
- Improved camera functionalities
- Better image capturing during the low light performance
- Includes various other features like blurriness, better color accuracy
- Bar code scanning will be quicker and accurate
- Optimized for the playback of high graphical performance
- Optimized video playback
- Geo tagging is accurate for images
- Pre-loaded with Quick Office
- Includes the latest version of the Google Play Store
So we have seen better improvements and features included in the updates, follow the procedure mentioned below to apply this updates.
How to Update
Since this is one of the major update to Droid Bionic smart phones with Ice Cream Sandwich the file size of the update is very large and we recommend users to connect to a free Wi Fi so that you get the faster download of the firmware update package rather than going with 3G or 4G and also its recommended that you should charge your phone up to 50 % of the battery life to ensure that you don’t run out of battery which you are in the middle of the firmware update. Also ensure that you have taken the backup of existing ROM on your device by any of the usual methods that you follow earlier.
This update has been delivered to all the users of the Droid Bionic by Verizon Wireless and it comes with various bug fixes along with some of the improved features. Motorola or Verizon might have sent you the update notification on your device and for those who have received this update on their phone they can simply follow the instructions mentioned on the screen to apply the update or else you need to check them manually.
To check for the update go through Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update and then tap on Check Now. Your phone will be then communicated with Motorola servers for checking up the availability of updaters based on your region. Once you get the notification that updates are available you need to tap on Download from the message notification received by Motorola. It will take 10 -20 minutes for he updates to be downloaded and once downloaded tap on Install to see the updates been applied.
Your phone will be restarted automatically once the updates are applied and then you can see the latest Android 4.0 on your phone. You can check back for the same by going through Menu > Settings > About Phone to check the version of the Android included in your phone.
Have you updated you Droid Bionic smart phone to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich?