The Google Play Edition (GPE) for the Motorola Moto G is now available on the Google Play Store, finally, quite some time after it was launched in the market through the online stores. Although the smartphone is now available for the several countries, it says “Moto G Google Play is not available in your country” for the Indian users, so the Indian buyers will still have to wait for some more time until Motorola / Google makes it available for them.
The Google Play edition of the Moto G won’t be possibly carrying the Motorola’s additions to the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update that is already sent to the Moto G devices. The other advantage with the Play edition is that it would be receiving the latest Android updates at the same time as the other Play edition devices. the Moto G GPE would be having the same hardware as the GSM model which was launched last year, with the GSM/EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900MHz and 21Mbps HSPA+ 850/900/1900/21000MHz connectivity. The Android OS update will be based on the AOSP version of Android, and it would be receiving the faster updates without any skinning.
The Moto G Google Play Edition is going to be available for the price of $179 for the 8GB version and $199 for the 16GB version. There have always been a lot of fans for the GPE for the smartphones, mainly for the Android updates received by them. As for the specifications of the Moto G, check them below (although nothing is different from the one that was available last year).
Motorola Moto G Specifications
- 4.5-inch capacitive touchscreen
- Edge-to-edge HD display, 1280 x 720 pixels, 329ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor
- Adreno 305 GPU
- 1 GB RAM
- 8GB and 16GB storage versions
- 5-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, 720p video recording at 30fps
- 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera
- Android 4.4 KitKat (upgradeable to 4.4.2)
- 3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, GLONASS
- Battery: 2070 mAh
- Size: 129.9 x 65.9 x 6-11.6 mm
- Weight: 143gm