Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx are the two slim device launched by Motorola Mobility last year. Ever since their launch and introduction of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS for mobiles, have been scheduled for same update as they were unveiled with Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it. Verizon’s Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx users in United States are happy to see Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich as they got it two months back but after two months of delay, finally Europe region users gets to enjoy the love of Android 4.0 ICS on their smart phone.
The following are the improvements & enhancements included in this update –
- Much changes have been brought to the user interface
- Change in lock screen and home screen
- Customizing the home screen is pretty easy
- Group your app and shortcuts by arranging them in folders
- People app replaces Contacts app offering rich profile info
- Browser performance drastically improved
- New menu buttons and icons
- Face unlock feature has been introduced
- Data Usage & management details
- Easily share screenshots taken on your device
- Tweaked for better battery backup and management
- Many more minor features have been introduced
The file size of the content is about 375 MB and it can be easily downloaded via Wi Fi. Since this is a large OTA update you need a free Wi Fi as to avoid huge charges for the data download via 3G or 4G on your mobile phone charged by your network provider. Moreover Wi Fi ensure smooth & faster download of data. The software version on your device will be 672.180.41 after the update which can be checked by going through Settings > About Phone displaying all the details of OS included, software version, kernel version. These updates are been pushed via Over the Air update and it will take approximately anything about one hour to download and apply the updates to your device respectively.
Before you proceed with the update, you should ensure that you have taken the backup of your device which is running on Android 2.3 Gingerbread whether its Motorola Droid Razr or Razr Maxx. Alongside with that you should ensure that you have more than 50 % battery left on your device or else you might land up trouble of running out of battery life in the middle. This might lead you for an help by customer care executive.
To update your Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx, go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and then tap on Check Now. You will get a confirmation message and then follow the on screen instructions to apply the updates.
On August 25, Rogers in Canada have pushed Ice Cream Sandwich update to Motorola Razr but not to Razr Maxx. Users please check on your device.