Pre Upgrade Instructions for Firmware Update
For all those who always wanted to know on what are the general pre requisites which one has to follow before upgrading the firmware then we will see on the same. So, every time you update your phone with any of the Beta release or the custom ROM, you will have to follow these instructions carefully. It is very important to follow these set of instructions as these instructions are helpful in updating safely and securely. So, for your convenience we have listed the instructions below so that it will be useful for you. Please note that there are two types of instructions which are, one for the users on the Stock users and another one is for the users who are on the custom firmwares.
Pre Upgrade instructions for the users on Stock (default) firmware / ROMs:
- In the process of the firmware update, the data in the phone will get lost, so you will have to make a backup of all the data which is stored in the phone so that the same can be restored back as soon as possible. With the help of some of the links which are mentioned below along with the data which needs to be backed up you can easily backup the same. Please note that if you continue to proceed without this below backup method then there is a high probability that you may end up losing the data.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Now once you have taken the backup of the data, you now need to proceed to charge your phone to a minimum of 75% just to ensure that the phone doesn’t get turned Off in the process of firmware update.
- Ensure that the computer is having a minimum of Windows XP / Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system along with the ADMIN rights in your computer. Please note that if you get any error related to the USB / Ports then that means that you don’t have the admin privileges, so ensure that you have the ADMIN rights before proceeding to apply this rooting procedure.
- Ensure that the files which you will be using for the process of firmware update are only downloaded from the site androidadvices.com and not from any other site. All the files which you download from the androidadvices.com site will bear the standard password of “androidadvices.com” without the inverted comas.
- In your computer, you should have the latest version of .net framework along with the corresponding latest version of PC Suites for your devices which depend on different phone manufacturers. Installing these PC Suites will ensure that all the drivers are there in the PC which will be helpful for installing the firmware on the phone.
- Ensure that at the time of firmware update or say rooting, you will have to close all the PC Suites along with the Antivirus suites if there are any in your computer, as these tools tend to block the firmware update procedures since these are not official and are the beta releases. Just in case if you have installed any of the mobile tracker softwares then you need to uninstall the same or else the configuration will get erased.
- In the process of rooting, the APN settings as well as the MMS Settings too can get erased, so you will have to backup the same manually. These settings are responsible for accessing the Internet as well for sending the MMS Messages. Both of these settings can be backed up from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
Note: Please note that this update is not valid for the phones which are locked to the carrier until and unless specified in the article, it has been found that despite mentioning repeatedly the users tend to update the firmware considering that this will unlock the device. Applying with the firmware will either update the firmware and keep the device locked as it is or will completely brick the phone for which we should not be held responsible for.
There are special instructions to the users who are on the Custom Firmware in addition to the ones which are mentioned above.
Additional Instructions for Users on Custom ROM Firmwares:
- Please note that just in case if any of the Voodoo components are installed in your phone then you will have to ensure that all of these are removed from the recovery mode. If you are unable to remove the Voodoo lag fix then you need to disable the same from the recovery mode which you will find an option in the advanced options.
- Also, it’s always important to clear the cache and the data from the recovery mode which will be mentioned on how to enter the same in the respective article. If you are not clearing this then the cache data will stay back and the same will create issues like force close errors etc. after the firmware update.
- Just in case if you have converted the file system from the RFS to the EXT4 then you will have to convert back to the RFS System so that the new firmware will understand the same.
- If you are in the custom ROM then the rooting access will be revoked and then you will have to root the firmware again after applying with the updation procedure.
So, that’s it you now need to ensure that all the instructions which are mentioned above are carefully followed or else there will be a high probability that you may end up with the bricked phone or the firmware won’t be updated successfully. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in updating the firmware then mention the same in the comments section below of the respective firmware article so that then we can easily get back to you with the solution.