HTC One S smartphone which was announced in the Mobile World Congress is not even out in most of the places but before that the rooting tutorial arrives and in the due course of this article we will be checking out the same. Once the device is rooted, you can easily install the custom ROM firmwares and also the applications which require the root access. Over a period of this article we will also be checking out in detail on what are the quick pre requisites you need to follow along with a detailed tutorial on how to apply this update.
Special instructions: Just in case if you are new to Android and would like to know on what exactly this rooting is, then rooting is nothing but a technique wherein the third part files are given access to the system files so that the required customizations can be made. Also, rooting voids the warranty, the only way with which you can reclaim the lost warranty is by locking the boot loader if there is any and by applying the default factory firmware update which we will be discussing in the coming days to come.
Disclaimer: Neither we, nor developer should be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of following the instructions mentioned in this article. It’s very unlikely that there will be any issues but just in case if at all there are any issues then we are committed to help you in solving the same.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- There is a possibility that the data present in your phone may get lost or corrupted, so it’s better that you backup all possible data by following the below mentioned instructions so that you can restore the data safely if any is lost / corrupted.
Text messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Phone Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Charge left in your device should be a minimum of 70% so that your phone doesn’t give up in the middle of firmware update.
- Enable the USB debugging in your HTC One S phone from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
- Turn Off all the antivirus as well as Firewall tools in your computer as these tools tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
So let’s head to the next page where we have mentioned the detailed article on how to root your HTC One S Android smartphone.
Procedure to Root HTC One S with a simple tutorial:
- First up you need to Download HTC One S Rooting Package from here to your computer and extract the same as shown in the below screen capture. From the extracted files, you need to open and install the executable files named as “adb-windows” and “fastboot-windows” or corresponding files if you are using the MAC / Linux based computers. The tools which we will be using is called as Superboot r1 tool.
- Once you have extracted the same, turn off your phone so as to start your phone in the boot loader mode. To enter the Boot loader mode, press Volume Down rocker key and while holding this Power ON the device. Please note that if the device starts in the normal mode then you will have to again retry entering in the Boot loader mode.
- Now, you need to connect the device to the computer using the Original USB cable. From the extracted files, open the file named as “install-superboot-windows” after which a new pop up window will be opening of the command prompt as shown in the below screen capture.
- If you are on MAC then open the terminal window and go to the directory containing he files and type “chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh” followed by “./install-superboot-mac.sh” command.
- If you are on the Linux based computer then open the terminal window and go to the directory containing he files and type “chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh” followed by “./install-superboot-linux.sh” command.
Tip: Just in case if the device is not rooted, you need to re follow all the above mentioned steps from the start so as to ensure that the rooting process is successfully processed.
So there you go, you have now successfully rooted your device with few simple steps as mentioned above. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same at the earliest. Thanks to Modaco who has come out with this work around.