Google Nexus 9 can now be rooted and all thanks to the Chain fire as usual this time as well. While there are other tools which claim to root this newbie in Nexus family, Nexus 9 but are claimed to be in effective. Please be noted that though the device can be rooted, the custom recovery for Nexus 9 is still not available. While there are hardly any apps which are being tested in Android’s latest Lollipop 5.0 OS, this is a great start for the people who wanted to root their devices. Unfortunately, CF Auto-Root framework hasn’t been updated to patch live kernels or for say in other words the support for 64-bit devices is yet to be discovered by Chainfire.
So for all those folks out there who are using Nexus 9 can now root their devices with the simple procedure which we will be checking out in the due course of this article.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Make sure that your device has 50% battery life and enable USB Debugging Mode which can be enabled from the Settings.
- Backup all necessary data like SMS, Call Log, Internet Settings etc. using necessary apps and then transfer the same to your computer so that the same can be restored once the firmware is updated.
- All the drivers in your computer should be installed in your computer. Also, make sure that the ADB is installed in your computer.
Let’s head over to the next step where we have summed up the detailed list of procedure which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Root Nexus 9:
- Download the CF Root file from here to your computer. Once downloaded, place the same in the ADB/ FASTBOOT folder in your computer. Chainfire has come up with the simple process with 3 files which comprises of below mentioned things;
Enable fastboot oem unlock via developer options and execute the same
Perform fastboot boot inject.img
Perform fastboot flash boot patched.img
- Download the “Root Checker” app from Google PLAY Store to check on whether the device is rooted or not.
- Chainfire will start updating Auto-root with all of the new 5.0 components, but that it would require a bit of time. While this is the first rooting process for the Nexus 9, we will be updating the detailed procedure once it’s out but till then this rooting process is only for advanced users.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.