HTC One on the original factory firmware is awesome and with many developments to come in future, the awesomeness of this device will only rise. Now, there are many applications which require the root access to make sure that apps which need the system folder access can be granted. Let’s check out in the due course of this article on how to Root HTC One with the simple tutorial. Before we proceed, you need to go through the list of pre requisite instructions after which we will be checking out on how to install the custom Recovery image in HTC One.
Note: Please note that Rooting doesn’t mean that you are installing a Custom ROM Firmware. You might or might not choose to install a custom ROM firmware after rooting the device.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your device should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps manually. Don’t backup with the help of HTC Sync as it may not effectively detect the device.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- From the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”, enable the USB Debugging, ensure that the USB debugging option is ticked. Battery level should not be below 30% or else there is a risk of device getting turned off in the middle of firmware update.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
So, assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned things you can now head over to the next step where we have mentioned a detailed guide on how to Root the device.
Procedure to Root HTC One:
- Head over to the HTC Boot loader page where in on the right hand side you will need to select the option of “All other supported models” and then enter all the details of your device like Serial Number, IMEI Details along with your Name, Email ID and contact number. Once you have submitted the form, you will be getting the boot loader unlock code via email which you need to enter the same by following the on screen instructions.
- Download the Recovery File from here to your computer to rename it as “recovery.img” and place the same in your device.
- Now, all you need to do is to turn Off the device so that it can be entered in the Recovery Mode via Fast boot mode.
- The Boot loader mode in HTC One can be entered by pressing Volume UP Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button. If the phone boots in the normal mode then you need to try again to enter into the boot loader mode.
- Up next in the boot loader mode, you need to select “recovery” so as to enter into the recovery mode. In recovery mode, select Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition for clearing all the cache data present in the device.
- In Recovery Mode, select “install zip from …” and then you need to select the Recovery Zip file which you have placed in your phone in the initial step.
- As soon as the recovery file is updated, you need to select the option of “REBOOT SYSTEM NOW” for rebooting the device in the normal mode. Please note that it will take around 5- 6 minutes to boot the device as it will be the first time the device will be booting after rooting.
To check whether the device is rooted or not, you need to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check the same.
Tip: If your HTC One refuses to boot up or say gets into the boot loop mode, then you need re-apply the whole process from the start so as to make sure that the device is updated with this firmware.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same. So there you go, you have now successfully rooted your HTC One easily. For all the custom ROM lovers, we will very soon be coming up with the custom ROM firmwares for HTC One.