For all users who have bought HTC One M8 Android phone can now root their devices. Once you root your device, you can then make use of the custom ROM firmwares along with the apps which need root access. Recently we just saw on how you can unlock the boot loader of HTC One M8 Android phone which is the initial step before we proceed to root the device and install the TWRP recovery image. So after checking out the list of quick pre requisite steps, let’s head over to the detailed guide which will help you install the TWRP image.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your device needs to be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps manually and not with HTC Sync.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Head over to the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” in your HTC One M8 so as to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Make sure that you have installed the Android ADB in your computer. Minimum battery left in your device should be at least 50% so as to make sure that device doesn’t get turn Off in the middle of the process.
- Make sure that you have Unlocked HTC One M8’s boot loader by following the instructions mentioned in the corresponding link.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible in any manner for any damage happened to your HTC One M8 due to not following the instructions mentioned in the article. Unlocking the Boot loader/ Rooting / installing the TWRP image will void the warranty.
Once you have backed up all the data in your device, you now will have to proceed to the next step where we have mentioned the detailed guide which will help you update the device.
Procedure to Root and Install TWRP recovery image in HTC One M8:
Guide to Install TWRP Recovery:
- Download the Fastbootfiles.zip and extract the same in your desktop. Download the TWRP image file and move the same into the Fastboot_files folder which is placed on the desktop. After this, download the latest super SU flashable zip in your computer.
- Turn off you’re your device so that it can be entered in the Boot loader mode. Press Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously to enter into HBOOT/Boot loader mode. Up next, connect your M8 with the computer using the original USB cable when it’s in the fastboot mode.
- Open the Fastboot_files folder and press the Shift key and right click on the empty space inside the folder after which you will see the pop up. Open the command prompt and enter the below mentioned command;
Fastboot erase cache
Fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-m8_ul_ca.img
After this the device will reboot and install the TWRP image.
Guide to Root HTC One M8 Android Phone:
- Connect your device to the PC with the help of original USB cable and transfer the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.xx.zip to a suitable location of the device’s storage and turn off the device so that it can be entered in the bootloader mode.
- Press Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously to enter into HBOOT/Boot loader mode. Up next, connect your M8 with the computer using the original USB cable when it’s in the fastboot mode.
- Tap to install and select the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.xx.zip and start the flashing process. Once done, select “Reboot > System”.
- To check on whether the device is rooted or not, you will have to check the same with the help of “Root CHECKER” app which you can download from the App Store.
Note: If at all your HTC One M8 smartphone gets in the boot loop mode, then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you long press the power button and repeat the whole process again.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of boot loader unlock.