HTC Butterfly smartphone users can now root their devices to make use of the custom ROM firmwares which we will be checking out on how you can install the same. Once your HTC Butterfly is rooted, you can then install the custom ROM firmwares and the apps which require the root access. So, before we proceed to tell you on how you can root the device and install the custom Recovery image, you need to follow the list of pre requisite instructions mentioned below. Once the device is rooted, the warranty will get void, but the warranty can be reclaimed once the device is updated with the original firmware.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- All the data in your HTC Butterfly should be backed up with the help of below mentioned steps manually and not with the HTC SYNC.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Minimum battery charge left in your device should be a minimum of 50% so as to make sure that the device doesn’t get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. Also, you will need to enable the USB Debugging Mode in your computer from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”.
Disclaimer: Follow all the instructions mentioned in this article as if there is any damage caused due to not following instructions then we shall not be held liable or responsible. Just in case if you face any issues then we will try our level best to address the same.
- Recovery mode in HTC Butterfly can be entered by first turning Off the phone and then hold the Volume Down to turn ON the device. You can clear the cache and wipe the data before rooting the device.
Let’s proceed to the next step where we have mentioned a detailed guide on how to root the device and install the recovery.
Guide to Root HTC Butterfly and Install Recovery:
- Before proceeding you need to first unlock the Boot loader of HTC Butterfly and then download the Rooting Package and TWRP Recovery Installer.
- Now, assuming that your computer is installed with the ADB, you need to extract the recovery files and extract the contents in your computer.
- Open the command prompt in your computer and connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable. Once connected and as soon as all the required drivers are installed, you need to enter the below mentioned command in the command prompt,
Adb reboot bootloader
- Once the device is entered in the thebootloader mode, you will have to enter the below mentioned command,
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now, the recovery mode will be installed and then you need to reboot the device with the help of below mentioned command
- The above command will reboot the device. Now, let’s check out on how you can root your HTC Butterfly. Download the Rooting Package from here to your computer and place the same in your device’s SD Card. Reboot the device in the boot loader mode and select “Recovery” option to boot the device in the recovery mode.
- In recovery, select “install” option and then select the option of “install zip from sd card” to select the Rooting Zip Package which you have placed in your device. Once that is selected, it will take around 3 -4 minutes for applying the update.
- Once the process is done, you need to download the “Root checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check whether the device is rooted or not. Just in case if the device is not rooted, you need to re follow the instructions for rooting the device.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re insert the battery and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
So, there you go you have now successfully rooted the device and installed with the recovery image. Do let us know in the comments section or on out Facebook / Google+ Page if you face any issues.