Moto G 2014 edition is out and comes with some of the better specs as compared with the former version. Apart from front facing dual speakers and minor improved looks, this device also comes with some better hardware. This new 2014 edition of Moto G can now be rooted and installed with the TWRP recovery image so that you can then make use of the custom ROM firmwares or even can benefit by installing the apps which need root access. So let’s check out the detailed instructions which will help you root the device and install the custom recovery image.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible or liable in any manner for any damage caused due to not following the instructions mentioned in this article.
Essential Pre Conditions:
- Moto G 2014 should be left with a minimum of 50% battery life.
- Your Windows computer should have Full USB Read/ Write access. Download the Motorola Drivers in your computer from here and install the same. Once installed, you need to restart the computer.
- Create the backup of all the data in your Moto G manually with the help of apps like SMS backup & restore, Call log backup and restore etc. Once backed up, copy all the files which you need in your computer so that you can then manually restore them.
- Make sure that ADB is installed in your computer.
So let’s head over to the next step where we have detailed the steps which will help you root the device.
Procedure to Root and install Custom Recovery image in Moto G 2014:
- Unlock the boot loader by following the appropriate instructions. After this, you need to download the Super SU from here to your computer and copy the same to the internal memory of your device. Make sure that you are connecting your phone with the original USB cable.
- Once copied, disconnect the device from computer and power off the same so that the device can be entered in the boot loader mode. Boot loader mode in Moto G can be entered by pressing the Volume Down + Power button for 2-5 seconds and then release the same.
- Connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and open the command prompt to enter the below mentioned command. Head over to the ADB and fastboot folder and start the command prompt for entering the below mentioned command;
fastboot flash recovery TWRP2801-titan-motog-2014.img
- After entering the above command, flash he SuperSU zip from the recovery mode and reboot the device.
- Once the device is successfully updated, you will see the Language preference option in the device and then disconnect the device to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google Play Store. If your device is not rooted, you need to re follow the instructions for rooting the same.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just long press the power button and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of rooting the device. We will be very soon coming with the tutorials which will help you install the custom ROM firmwares in your Moto G 2014.