For all those who wanted to root the Motorola Droid 2 smartphone then we are here to guide you. Just in case if you wish to know about the immediate benefit then we would like to say that once you root the device, you will be able to install the latest version of ICE CREAM SANDWICH Android 4.0 firmware which we saw in the last article about the Droid 2. Please note that once you root the device, the warranty will get void. To get back the warranty, you need to restore back to the Original firmware.
Disclaimer: At Android Advices, we have made sure in all respects that all the information regarding the firmware update is mentioned correctly in this article. We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of updating your phone which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions.
Quick Pre Requisites:
- Backup all your data to preferably your computer so that just in case if the data gets corrupted or deleted, the same can be restored easily. With the help of below mentioned tips, you can easily backup / restore the data.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- You need to ensure that the minimum charge left in the device is 60% so as to ensure that the device doesn’t Power Off in the middle of firmware. Ensure that you have ADMIN privileges in your computer so as To get the full USB read / write access.
So, assuming that you have followed the above tips, you need can now head to the procedure to root Motorola Droid 2 below.
Procedure to Root Motorola Droid 2:
- Before Proceeding, you need to ensure that you are on the firmware 2.3.20 build. If you are on any of the newer builds then you need to roll back to the older version as this rooting process only works on the firmwares on or before 2.3.20 version.
- Now, you need to Download tools like RSD Lite 4.8, Motorola Drivers & 2.3.20 Firmware from here to your computer.
- After downloading all the tools, install the RSD Lite suite in your computer and once installed, install the Motorola Device drivers next.
- Now, Download and install the ADB in your computer and install the Android SDK in your computer to get the ADB shell in your computer.
- After this, all you need to do is to download the rageinthecage-arm5, the Motorola Drivers & the Super user package from the below mentioned links.
- Now, you will have to unzip the rageinthecage-arm5 & the Super user package to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder) and connect your phone to the computer using the original USB Cable.
- After connecting, open the terminal and enter the below mentioned commands,
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- Now after entering the above commands, you now need to enter the below commands in the command line,
NOTE: You should see a “#”. If you see a “$”, then the exploit didn’t work, please repeat above steps. You need to enter the commands one by one with a gap of 2 -3 seconds so as to ensure that the commands are processed.
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
So that’s it there you go, you have now successfully rooted your Droid 2 handset. Do let us know just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same. In the next few coming articles, we will see on how you can make use of this rooting.