Wanna root your Motorola Droid X smart phone, rooting has its own merits and demerits. Talking of merits, you can install lot of custom ROMs which are developed by various developers and the most popular one is the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Also, not to forget you can also make use of many applications which needs the root access. If we talk of demerits then the only demerit is that once your root the phone, the warranty gets void. Keeping it simple, if you wish to reclaim the lost warranty after rooting then all you need to do is to apply the Official Factory Firmware for Motorola Droid X and the lost warranty can be reclaimed.
Disclaimer: At Android Advices, we have made sure in all respects that all the information regarding the firmware update is mentioned correctly in this article. We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of updating your phone which is very unlikely if you follow the instructions.
So, before we proceed to the procedure to root, backup all the data present in your device so that just in case if any data gets lost or erased, the same can be restored easily. With the help of below mentioned steps, you can easily restore the data.
Notes – Backup in the mail so that you can then restore manually
SMS Messages – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts Stored in Phone Memory – Sync with the Gmail application,
Videos, Images, Videos & Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Let’s head to the procedure to Root Motorola Droid X with the help of Simple tutorial below.
Tutorial to Root Motorola Droid X Android Smart Phone:
Before you proceed, you need to ensure that you are on the 2.3.340 firmware, if you are on any other firmware then you need to first update the firmware and then then you can proceed to the next step. With the help of below mentioned steps, you can easily update the firmware to 2.3.340 version.
Procedure to Update Droid X with 2.3.340 firmware
- So, assuming that you have successfully updated the firmware, you now need to Download the Rageagainstthecage tool, Motorola Drivers (32-bit | 64-bit) and Super user Package from here to your computer. After this you need to install the Motorola device drivers in your computer.
- Unzip the rageinthecage-arm5 & the Superuser package to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder) and connect the Droid X with the computer using the USB Cable.
- Now, open the terminal in your computer to enter the following commands one by one. Ensure that a sufficient gap is given between the commands so as to allow it to process.
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- Now, as soon as the command processing is done, you need to run the below mentioned commands now one by one.
- After this please note that you should see a “#”. If you see a “$” then that means that the commands are not processed and you need to repeat the commands. After this, you need to now enter the below mentioned commands one by one,
mount -o remount,rw -t /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
So, that’s it you have now successfully rooted your Motorola Droid X smartphone. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues as we will try our level best to sort out the same.