SONY Xperia Ion smartphone can now be rooted with the help of a simple to follow tutorial. For all those who have recently purchased the SONY Xperia Ion smartphone can now further upscale the Android experience by installing the custom ROM firmwares and with the apps which need the root access. Over a period of coming days, we will be coming up with many custom ROM firmwares along with the apps which need the rooting access. Once the device is rooted, the warranty will be lost. The only way with which the warranty can be reclaimed is by re applying the official firmware which we will try to come up with the same.
Disclaimer: We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device in the process of rooting which is very unlikely if you follow all the mentioned instructions carefully.
Though there is no way that the data will be lost, but its highly recommended to back up all the data with the help of below mentioned steps or with the PC Companion tool. Just in case if the data gets corrupted or erased, the same can be restored easily.
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log –Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Procedure to Root SONY Xperia ION:
- First up before proceeding, you need to unlock the boot loader. Once the boot loader is unlocked, download any of the insecure kernel depending upon the firmware which you have and then boot the device from the mentioned below options.
- Now, ensure that from Settings > Developer Options you will have to enable the USB Debugging Mode. After enabling, connect your device with the computer and download the Xperia Ion Rooting Package from here to your computer and unzip the same to get the below mentioned files.
- Click on “rootme” executable file in your computer and connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable. Ensure that you have full Read / Write access rights and admin rights in your computer.
- Once the process is over, the Xperia Ion will be rebooted automatically. Once the device is booted, disconnect the device connected from computer and download “Superuser” application and update the binaries.
- If at any point of time, if the superuser asks you for the permission, then tap on “Accept” option. To check on whether the device has been rooted or not, you need to download the “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store and check the same. If the device is rooted, then it will mention the same.
Note: If your SONY Xperia ION device doesn’t shown up the country selector or say gets stuck on the SONY logo then you need to re follow all the instructions mentioned in this article for rooting your device.
Do let us know if you face any issues in the process of firmware update as we are committed to address the same at the earliest. Congratulations, you have now successfully rooted your SONY Xperia ION device, very soon we will come with custom ROM firmwares and apps which need root access.