In the recent past, Sony has released half a dozen of Android smart phone in the Xperia series of line up. The Sony Xperia models which you see in the market are Xperia S, Xperia P, Xperia U, Xperia Ion, Xperia Z and lot more still to come. Just like what we have Samsung KIES for the Samsung phone, PC Companion is for the Sony Xperia phones. PC Companion is a computer application for the Sony Xperia range of handsets allows you to do backup contacts, software updates, managing your contacts, calendar and other media management. PC Companion is supported for all the Xperia powered smart phone.
You can download Sony PC Companion tool available for free download at the official Sony Site.
Back up & Restore Sony Xperia Phones
Using the PC Companion tool you can easily backup your Xperia phone.
- Connect your phone using the USB cable to the PC and Open the Sony PC Companion tool as well.
- As soon as the drivers are been installed automatically on Windows 7 PC, your phone would be seen listed once that is done.
- Now among the various options listed below you need to click on on Start in the Backup & Restore pan.
- To Backup : You would be in the Backup and restore page where in you see various things like Settings, Backup phone & Restore phone.
- Click on Backup phone and it would then ask you which data you want to backup. This includes contacts, call log, text messages, bookmarks, settings, music, videos, photos and images. The videos, photos and images stored on the internal memory can be unselected as it would stay intact in your memory card. Now click on Next.
- In the next tab you need to name your backup and provide the location where you want to save the backup.
- The backup would be saved in the .dbk file.
- To Restore : To restore your phone with the already taken backup, you need to go back to the Backup & Restore pan.
- When you select Restore phone just below backup phone as done early, you would see earlier backup with dates on when taken.
- When selected the desired backup, you need to hit the Restore phone option.
- Your Sony Xperia phone would be restored.
The video tutorial for backing up & restore your Xperia phones is here
Sync & Restore Data Sony Xperia Phones
Using the PC Companion tool you can easily synchronize the date present on your Xperia handset to the PC. And if data on your phone is lost or you hit the reset button then if there is a backup created on your PC using the PC Companion tool you can restore the same. Check the procedure below on how you can sync and restore your data easily –
- Connect your Xperia phone using the USB cable to the PC
- Open the Sony PC Companion tool.
- Your phone would be seen listed on the PC Companion tool once it’s identified.
- Now among the various options listed below you need to click on Sync Zone.
- Following this component required for synchronization would be installed. So your synchronization application would be started.
- Tap on Next.
- You would be taken through the synchronization guide.
- It will further ask for the contacts location where you will like to save them.
- It will further ask you to login into your Google Account. This is your Google Account with which you login at your Phone Account tab. So go to Settings > Account & Sync and check whether the account is the correct one or not and Sync is enabled as well.
- Now click on Start Sync and the synchronizing process will start.
So that is the simple procedure on how you can sync your phone on to your PCThis is clearly explained using the video here.
Check for New Firmware Update
We all know that we receive the firmware upgrade via two processor, one is the Over the Air so called OTA update and another one is via the PC tool of your phone manufacturer. Here the Sony PC Companion can be used to upgrade your phone to the higher version if any available. Many times it has happened that Sony has released the update via PC Companion tool and users who want to apply this updates have to follow the procedure mentioned below here.
- In the PC Companion tool, once when you have connected your phone.
- So just below the device name on the Companion tool, you find the option of ‘Check for update‘. Click on that and the Companion tool will verify whether or not any updates are available.
- If updates are available it would return a pop up message saying updates are available and then follow the on screen instructions. If no updates are available then you will get message saying ‘No updates are available.Your phone is up to date’. Check in the screen shot that my Sony Xperia S phone was update just a little while ago and there are no updates right now available to Xperia S and so the pop-up message will say.
- If updates are available follow the on screen instructions which are very simple to upgrade your phone to the newly available updates.
So that is the procedure on how you can update your phone using the PC Companion tool. The method is quite easy. We have gone through the video tutorial of the same here.