Not too long did Samsung said that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update to their best devices right now will be update in the last week of October this year. Leaving behind T-Mobile USA, Mobilicity, Wind and Videotron in United States, Sprint is the first operator to update Samsung Galaxy S III with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update which has just begun roll out for the consumers. This update has been rolled out via the Over the Air update and Sprint has notified the users about the availability of it.
Improvements & Enhancements
As we all know that every update includes some good features and it also includes improvements, addition of new features as well. This Jelly Bean update to Galaxy S III brings couple of new features moving from Android 4.0.4 and these includes the following –
- Android Beam: Android Beam is the advancement in the Near Field Communication technology allowing users to tap and share content easily. You can share photos, pictures, audio, videos and files easily by bringing the device closer to another.
- Adds Google Now: One of the greatest additions to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is the inclusion of Google Now which allows users to get the right information at the right time. It can be traffic or related to weather or news.
- Resizeable Pop Up Player: Samsung Galaxy S III was the first device to come up with pop up player. Until now you can move the video player anywhere you want but this update includes the resizing of the player.
- Resizable Widgets: You can now resize the widgets on your home screen
- Camera Improvements: You can see many more improvements to the camera capabilities on Galaxy S III
- Easy Mode : Easy mode provides the simplified user experience who have brought the device for the first time
- Blocking Mode: Apart from Easy mode it also includes the blocking mode by which users can disable the incoming calls, notifications, alarm and LED indicators for certain period of time
- Includes the option of one touch pairing for the NFC chip and Bluetooth devices
- The new live camera and camcorder filters provides a new way to peak your creativity
- Several new features such as warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white sepia, color highlights, color reduction, saturation and many more can be selected from the main camera screen
- With video recorder now you can pause and record video allows users to record multiple capture video clips in a party or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required from users
- Better Low light photo mode with best in calls High Dynamic Range capabilities providing optimized mode for low light and indoor photos
- The phone update is with improved usability with access to multiple keyboard options and addition of Swype Keyboard
How to Update
Once you ensure that you have 50 % battery life on your device and have taken backup, you are ready to update you device. Since this update are available via Over the Air update you should ensure that you are connected to a Wi Fi network or you can use the 3G or 4G network data connection from your mobile phone to update. These updates will soon be available on Samsung KIES as well.
Once ready go to Menu > Settings > About Phone and then tap on Software Update. Under Software Update tap on Check Now and it will be connecting you to the Samsung Servers to obtain a reply whether updates are available or not. Once you get the reply with updates been available tap on Download, the required files for the update will be downloaded and once that is done, you will be prompted to Install the updates. Once you tap on install your phone would be automatically restarted and it will take little time to see your phone with new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
The Samsung Galaxy S III owner in European countries and Asian countries have tasted the joy of Jelly Bean OS and these countries includes Austria, Romania, United Kingdom, Spain, France, Poland, Sweden, Hong Kong and Taiwan. All in together this update is worth upgrading.
Meanwhile T-Mobile USA, Mobilicity, Wind and Videotron customers need to wait for few weeks to see this update live on their devices. We hope this update comes sooner to other carriers and countries as well.