Google launched the Android One devices last year with a clear aim to bring the clean and pure vanilla OS experience to all the users at an affordable price with assured updates in the future. Initially, Android One initiative was launched in partnership with 3 domestic players Micromax, Karbonn and Spice, which was further extended to some more manufacturers. However, Google is yet to provide latest Android 5.0 lollipop update as promised.
With Google releasing the kernel sources for these devices, many developers got their hands into the code to cook various popular custom ROMs. The XDA developer, varun.chitre15 has brought Android 5.0 lollipop based CM12 ROM for the Android One devices, namely Micromax Canvas A1, Spice Dream Uno and Karbonn Sparkle V. CyanogenMod is the most popular custom ROM for Android devices and supports a wide range of devices.
If you’d like to flash Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Android One device, follow the installation instructions given below.
- Do NOT flash this ROM on devices other than the Micromax Canvas A1, Spice Dream Uno or Karbonn Sparkle V.
- Before getting on with the CM 12 flashing, you need a custom recovery like CMW or TWRP to install the ROM. If you’ve not yet installed a custom recovery on your Android One device before, follow the Steps to install CWM on Android one device.
- For rooting and flashing custom ROMs, you have to unlock the bootloader on your Android One device. If you’ve not yet unlocked the bootloader on your Android One device before, follow the Steps to unlock the bootloader on Android One device.
- Your smartphone should be ROOTED to flash custom RAM. If you’ve not yet rooted your Android One device before, follow the Steps to root the Android One Smartphone.
Detailed Guide to install unofficial CM12 ROM
- Step 1: Download and transfer CM12 ROM and Gapps package files on your phone’s SD card
Download CM12 for Android One Devices here
Download Android 5.0 Gapps here
- Step 2: Then reboot the device into recovery mode as follows:
1. Power OFF the device and wait until it is completely shutdown.
2. Now press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the device enters bootloader mode.
3. Use Volume Up button to browse and highlight Recovery option, and then press Volume Down to choose the option.
- Step 3: Once in recovery mode, take a backup of your current ROM.
- Step 4: Once the backup is finished, perform Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
- Step 5: After the wipe process completes, return to main Recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card to begin the CM12 ROM installation process.
- Step 6: Go to the location where you copied the downloaded files earlier and choose the CM12 ROM zip file. Go to the location where you copied the downloaded files earlier and choose the CM12 ROM zip file.
- Step 7: Confirm the action when prompted and install the ROM.
- Step 8: Now install the Gapps package as well.
- Step 9: Once both the ROM and Gapps are installed, hit Reboot > System to Restart the device.
- The first boot after the ROM installation may be time-consuming. So, do not interrupt the boot process and allow the device to boot up completely before displaying the initial setup screen.
That is it. You have now successfully installed and configured the Android 5.0 lollipop based CM12 ROM for Android One.